Pages

Tuesday, January 29, 2013

each of us is an artist of our days



“Each of us is an artist of our days; the greater our integrity and awareness, the more original and creative our time will become.”
John O'Donohue





About once every month and a half - I magically end up with a couple days off, sometimes even three off from the library in a row. This week, dare I say it, I have three in a row, and then one more really since I don't work until the evening. I spent at least part of the weekend clearing out my inbox, crossing off the 'businessy' parts of writing off my list, wrapping up some freelance stuff. So that I feel like I have a mini-writing retreat happening. It's rather heavenly. So far so good, nothing has happened to thwart my time. The first thing I did was put on the Anonymous 4 music that I have written most (but not all...) of my books to. Weird to say maybe. But what happens is - as soon as I hear that music, it settles me, my mind clears and I can get into the work more quickly.

Even though it's so beautiful to be the artist of these kinds of days - where there is nothing to do but write in between walking the dog and picking up our daughter from school - I need to remind myself to be the artist of those days where my time is divided and fragmented - by more mundane tasks, by work in the home and out, and by family and social time.




 On the weekend, my lovely daughter agreed to be a 'model' in a photo shoot in my study, once again. I love it when we spend time like this together. (And I think she doesn't even half mind it).











The scarf I normally have draped over the blue chair in my office was put into service - adding to the general pastel tones I was going for. 




Before we started I took this shot of my Clarice Lispector shelf in the corner of my study - to the right of my desk as a test shot. But I quite like the way it turned out.





And this was the last shot, when we were all finished and getting ready to put things away. 



2 comments:

  1. Love the Clarice shot. Beautiful. I would recognize C's hands anywhere. Lovely shots (...and cute freckles!).

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...