Pages

Monday, January 7, 2013

last minute gifts





That Sweet Moon Language

~ Hafiz

Admit something:
Everyone you see, you say to them, “Love me.”
Of course you do not do this out loud, otherwise
someone would call the authorities.
Still, though, think about this, this great pull in us to
connect.
Why not become the one who lives with a
full moon in each eye that is
always saying,
with that sweet moon language,
what every other eye in
this world is
dying to
hear?




We resume our schedule this morning, such as it is, as our daughter returns to school.  I've posted the Hafiz poem before, but thought it went nicely with the moon over Shopper's Drug Mart, highway photo. And I needed to hear it again, too. I was a bit obsessed with the peace prayer by St. Francis of Assisi at one point. I used to write it out in a notebook everyday as a form of meditation I guess. Not having been brought up with any religion/church I don't have any song in my head that accompanies the words. (Though I do like Sarah McLachlan's version).


O Divine Master,
grant that I may not so much seek to be consoled, as to console;
to be understood, as to understand;
to be loved, as to love.
For it is in giving that we receive.


I also need to be reminded this morning of the possibilities. To give thanks. So here is John O'Donohue, who always soothes. Always, these last minute gifts....



O N  W A K I N G

by John O'Donohue


I give thanks for arriving
Safely in a new dawn,
For the gift of eyes
To see the world,
The gift of mind
To feel at home
In my life,
The waves of possibility
Breaking on the shore of dawn,
The harvest of the past
That awaits my hunger,
And all the furtherings
This new day will bring.




5 comments:

  1. A perfect post for me this morning. Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Absolutely lovely. What a gift that stray paper was . . .

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh my god. That Hafiz poem just knocks me out.

    May I spread it around--with gratitude to you--?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you Shawna, for this welcome beauty in early January.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...