Pages

Tuesday, February 5, 2013

the smallest thing



"In photography, the smallest thing can be a great subject. The little, human detail can become a Leitmotiv." 

~ Henri Cartier-Bresson


"Lately I've been struck with how I really love what you can't see in a photograph." 

~ Diane Arbus


Those smallest things, those things you can't see - the potential for the contemplative in the presentation of a simple, everyday object, something that everyone sees daily also - this is what I keep coming back to, keep seeking. That moment, or just a split second, when light strikes something ordinary, and we all see that it's nothing like ordinary. That revelation.

Today's photographs are of some lemon scones. A lovely Flickr contact, Diane, passed along her recipe for orange scones and since I had no oranges they become lemon scones...






I first photographed the scones on my usual little table by our back window in the kitchen. Then sort of gave up - the light wasn't really doing anything for me. Decided that the thing to do was to just enjoy them, and not worry about turning them into something else, right?  So, got out the jam etc which is when I noticed THAT light in the jam jar. Plopped the spoon down on the plate in my excitement....and there it is. Bit of a mess. But in the end, I like the last photo the best.



3 comments:

  1. Diane - that recipe was so good - I've never made scones before that turned out so well!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...