Pages

Wednesday, April 17, 2013

a little hidden door





"The dream is a little hidden door in the innermost secret recesses of the soul, opening into that cosmic night...."

- Jung




Some music one of my Facebook contacts posted after finding out about Boston:











From Joseph Campbell:

"There is a Japanese saying I recall once having heard, of the five stages of a man's growth: "At ten, an animal; at twenty, a lunatic; at thirty, a failure; at forty, a fraud; at fifty, a criminal." And at sixty, I would add (since by that time one will have gone through all this), one begins advising one's friends; and at seventy (realizing that everything said has been misunderstood) one keeps quiet and is taken for a sage."At eighty," then said Confucius, "I knew my ground and stood firm.""


So, there you have it. I'm not yet 50, but I've certainly gone through the failure and fraud stage. I'm not sure why I found this so reassuring to read. Comforting. I think it's just thinking about all the stages we go through, and how it's possible to look back at where we've been, with some humour, some humility. And I guess I'm also thinking about reaching toward that sage-like quiet, that moment when you stand your ground, stand firm.

Meanwhile, the clover in my terrarium is turning into butterflies.




No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...