Pages

Tuesday, April 16, 2013

meditate






“Meditate.
Live purely. Be quiet.
Do your work with mastery.
Like the moon, come out
from behind the clouds!
Shine”


- Buddha



"Poetry is simply the most beautiful, impressive, and widely effective mode of saying things, and hence its importance."

- Matthew Arnold


Quite wonderful to start one's day with poetry. I spent much of the morning over on my other site, Canadian Poetries. So much strong poetry, that I'm so pleased to provide a space where these words may stand out a little on their own, shine in that way. 


This is how it is, for writers, but for poets in particular. The daily life is spent either living purely, meditating, or, in reality, working through an endless checklist of things that must be done. Trying to create the space, if not that same day, to write. For me, I'm checking things off a large list today, so that when Thursday comes, and I only work in the evening at the library, I will have the day clear to write. To work. To try.

I think it's sad that there are many people for whom the importance of poetry doesn't register - that they wouldn't think to seek it out. That it doesn't find them. There's this whole dimension that they miss out on, and one that's generally quite accessible. But I suppose those who love opera or theatre or intramural sports would say that I'm missing out on those things, and likely I am. We must enjoy what we do enjoy.

There is something to be said for simplicity, in life and in poetry. Something to be said for meditating and living purely. Chloe made some corn muffins one day last week. We had bought sour cherry jam from the Italian Centre a while back. I think about once a month the stars align so that midmorning I'm able to sit with tea and muffins and poetry at the kitchen table.







2 comments:

  1. it truly is important to make time for the things that are important to us an/or those things we wish to do. Those cornmeal muffins look delicious. And I bet the cherry jam was delish -- I miss the Italian Center.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, Diane - so true. No matter how difficult.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...