Pages

Thursday, May 16, 2013

an appointment





“This is what I believe: That I am I. That my soul is a dark forest. That my known self will never be more than a little clearing in the forest. That gods, strange gods, come forth from the forest into the clearing of my known self, and then go back. That I must have the courage to let them come and go. That I will never let mankind put anything over me, but that I will try always to recognize and submit to the gods in me and the gods in other men and women. There is my creed.”

- D.H. Lawrence






“God is the experience of looking at a tree and saying, 'Ah!”

- Joseph Campbell





“People usually consider walking on water or in thin air a miracle. But I think the real miracle is not to walk either on water or in thin air, but to walk on earth. Every day we are engaged in a miracle which we don't even recognize: a blue sky, white clouds, green leaves, the black, curious eyes of a child -- our own two eyes. All is a miracle.”

- Thich Nhat Hanh







“Around us, life bursts with miracles--a glass of water, a ray of sunshine, a leaf, a caterpillar, a flower, laughter, raindrops. If you live in awareness, it is easy to see miracles everywhere. Each human being is a multiplicity of miracles. Eyes that see thousands of colors, shapes, and forms; ears that hear a bee flying or a thunderclap; a brain that ponders a speck of dust as easily as the entire cosmos; a heart that beats in rhythm with the heartbeat of all beings. When we are tired and feel discouraged by life's daily struggles, we may not notice these miracles, but they are always there.”

- Thich Nhat Hanh







“You have an appointment with life, an appointment that is in the here and now.”

- Thich Nhat Hanh





As for me, I've had an appointment with the new leaves in the small city forests, with what is green and young. I've felt tired and discouraged by daily life, the writing life. In all honesty, it's mainly the writing life or all those things that surround the writing - not the writing itself - that I still have faith in. I have faith in the work of writing.

I've been trying to save myself by looking at small green things. The way the light falls on leaves, into them. Reminding myself that the miracles are there, whether I can really see them, or not. And it's difficult to see the miracles when one feels flat, tired, thinned out. Sad on the ground. And yet,







"Perhaps it is beauty that will save us in the end."

- Dostoevsky









"Who would have thought my shrivelled heart
Could have recovered greenness?"

- George Herbert











"Being here is so much." 

- Rilke











5 comments:

  1. visiting here ALWAYS nourishes my soul..
    thank YOU!

    ReplyDelete
  2. all is a miracle... love that! Beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  3. "Every day we are engaged in a miracle which we don't even recognize."
    and I really appreciate your close up view and perspective of the forest floor.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I find it miraculous that you can put together these lovely posts every day! With pictures! And references! And insights! I hope you can hear my applause . . .

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...