Pages

Monday, May 13, 2013

seven layers deeper



This desire to go deeper into the world, deeper into things, words, images. In John O'Donohue's book on beauty, he tells a story about Teannalach. A poet meets a farmer in an art gallery and the poet shares his deep looking of the paintings. The farmer in turn shares a story of his own special ability -Teannalach. "I live beside the lake and you always hear the ripple of the waters and the sound of wind on the water; everyone hears that. However, on certain summer days when the lake is absolutely still and everything is silent, I can hear how the elements and the surface of the lake make a magic music together." Later, another person from the same region as the farmer comes into the gallery and is asked about Teannalach and says, "..it is hard to say what it means. I suppose it means awareness, but in truth it is about seven layers deeper than awareness."

In the story, the ability, Teannalach, is felt to be a gift, but then also something that is developed over years and years. Developed through a daily practice. It's rare, and also recognized and revered by others.






I've been writing as a (nearly) daily practice for about 20 years, and Rob has been painting for 30 years.  Something must happen to your DNA as a result, the body must be in a different state, at a different frequency.




The light enters you in the morning, and you're altered by it. You see and hear and feel things at such a frequency that you're out of step with the rest of the world. Of course you are.

One morning this weekend, I placed this lovely pot of pansies, which I received as a birthday present from a beautiful soul, a friend, to water. And the pink pot cast such a bewitching glow in the sink. I was quite overcome with the sensation this caused in me, the constriction in my chest.

What I'm trying to do - is to develop deeper layers of awareness. To see this in others.





1 comment:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...