Pages

Monday, June 10, 2013

the yes ready within you




I hide myself within my flower,
That wearing on your breast,
You, unsuspecting, wear me too—
And angels know the rest.

I hide myself within my flower,
That, fading from your vase,
You, unsuspecting, feel for me
Almost a loneliness.


- Emily Dickinson








The Great Yes

by Constantine Cavafy

For some people the day comes
when they have to declare the great Yes
or the great No. It's clear at once who has the Yes
ready within him; and saying it,

he goes from honor to honor, strong in his conviction.
He who refuses does not repent. Asked again,
he'd still say no. Yet that no - the right no -
drags him down all his life.




It's Monday, it's raining, and I'm going back to work this evening after a week and a half off. But what a time it's been - no complaints over here. My holiday began with a trip to Ottawa, the Writers Union of Canada AGM, seeing a beloved friend, hanging out with new and well loved friends. Feeling like a writer, really, hanging out with writers for 4 days. Then coming home to write an article for TWUC newsletter. Attending my daughter's grade 9 Farewell. Then the next day was Rob's show opening. Meanwhile, I think I finished the first draft of my Transactions with Beauty, which is based on this blog. At least those of you who've been reading it for the last couple of years will recognize passages, sentences, images, thoughts, quotations. It's far from being done, of course, but a first draft is always something to celebrate. I suppose this is the appraisal stage where you get to ask yourself, does it need more or does it need paring down? What ought to be rearranged? What have I forgotten or left out? And then it's a matter of combing through and re-evaluating each sentence.

Even though I have two other manuscripts out there floating around, I've decided to just say yes to this manuscript, and let it come into its own in its own time. I'm saying yes to writing, yes to the writing life, yes. Yes to the flow, and yes to whatever the universe sees fit to offer me. Yes to creativity. Yes to abundance. The thing is, as Cavafy says, to have the yes ready within you.



Meanwhile. The rhododendron has started to bloom.

And my container garden is just starting to fill out. Because the growing season is so short here I'm trying to enjoy every stage, though.





1 comment:


  1. Oh that's so wonderful when we have the first draft...I have been saying Yes to the Universe too and I know it has been hearing me because I have a ton of ideas, projects started and others to come...I have a Gemini moon so I am all over the place, it can sometimes be stressful but oh how rewarding...
    Wish you a great new week at work!
    Sofia

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...