Pages

Wednesday, July 10, 2013

the reason the morning





"The reason the morning is so important is that I’ve spent the night somewhere else."

- Roxana Robinson, from "How I Get To Write" in The New Yorker






Maybe I like morning photos the best. They might not be the best technically, but I remember the morning smells, the newness, the dreams that still cling, when I revisit them.





A couple of nights ago I had a friend over to sit in the backyard. I sipped my first glass of wine in a couple of weeks, cold and white. She's one of my oldest friends, and is leaving town, leaving Edmonton, more or less for good. (Funny expression, 'leaving for good'). So many emotions, and yet, I'm still in that hazy mode, tired from the Bell's Palsy etc. I'm sort of in denial that she's leaving. And then, we've had so many friends leave. Edmonton is the sort of place many can't wait to ditch. And a great many of our friends have dispersed over the years, near and far. Maybe it's strange that we're still here. It is, you know.





Anyway, for my beloved friend A:



"Look as long as you can at the friend you love,
no matter whether that friend is moving away from you
or coming back toward you."


- Rumi









3 comments:

  1. I won't leave you, my dear friend . . .

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh such a warm and intimate post.
    I left Edmonton but not willingly. Missed it immensely in the beginning; cried constantly, missed everyone and everything. It took a couple years to resign myself to 'settle' where I had landed up north. Then retirement came recently and we chose to move further away to V. Island. Love it here more than I can say. In February I flew back to Edmonton to visit my son. Driving to his home from the airport, the sun was setting and I broke into full blown tears. I was home.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...