Pages

Monday, July 8, 2013

you have to be insane



"You have to be insane to confide the essential to anyone anywhere except in a poem."

- Nicole Brossard, Intimate Journal







"Poetry, I'm returning to it, never leaves me. It's my genre completely. In poetry I contemplate myself exuberantly. It's my unique strength. Force of gravity, electric and magnetic energy; in my own way, to make a synthesis."

- Nicole Brossard






The first quotation - for some reason I couldn't quite remember who said it, but it was rattling in my brain this past week. Then suddenly it came to me - Brossard.

I've been thinking about what I'll write next, after my big editing frenzy on Transactions with Beauty some time this summer. And who knows how long that will take. Perhaps it will go on through the fall.

I have a very few inklings - directions, form, ideas. But they're all just small things I'm toying with. I haven't committed in my mind to anything. And this is a bit unusual for me. Usually before I'm wrapping up one project, another one will begin to assert itself, pull me toward it.





I'm going to work today after having been off for over a week. To be perfectly honest, I'm not looking forward to it. I'm feeling self-conscious about how my face looks. (Re: my Bell's Palsy if you haven't read earlier posts....) But neither can I stay locked in my house for the next month. When I'm at rest, you'd not know the difference unless maybe you know me and are looking for it. Obviously, I'm meant to learn a little humility, who knows what else....








You might remember I quoted Bourgeois a while back. Somehow this has all new meaning to me these days:



“The spider is a repairer. If you bash into the web of a spider, she doesn’t get mad. She weaves and repairs it.”


- Louise Bourgeois



4 comments:

  1. Hope your day went well today! Sorry to read you've been ill.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you, Leigh! It did. I work with such lovely people.

    ReplyDelete
  3. That Bourgeois quote is what I needed to read... I understand you so well... With my Grave's disease I have been searching for changes in my face daily even if I know that when they will come I will just have to be patient and accept the metamorphosis...
    Hope you had a great day at work.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sofia - sorry to hear about your Grave's. I just looked it up. I'm glad the Bourgeois quotation was helpful to you. I'm wishing you all the best and continued strength!

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...