Pages

Friday, August 9, 2013

flowers below, stars above, I had been away from my own soul so long






Let the beauty we love be what we do.

- Rumi






Inspired, perhaps, by the idea of a flower potluck, in the next to latest Kinfolk magazine, and also with pictures of the unswept floor  mosaic in my mind, I went out into my yard yesterday and began gathering.


While I was taking the photographs, the Rumi line played over and over in my head. I heard it in an entirely new way.

let 

the beauty

we love

love love we love the beauty we love

be

what 

we do


and of course, it's only one line from a longer poem.





"Today, like every other day, we wake up empty
and frightened. Don't open the door to the study
and begin reading. Take down a musical instrument.

Let the beauty we love be what we do.
There are hundreds of way to kneel and kiss the ground."





"Out beyond ideas of wrongdoing and right doing,
there is a field. I'll meet you there.

When the soul lies down in that grass,
the world is too full to talk about.
Ideas, language, even the phrase each other
doesn't make any sense."






“A garden to walk in and immensity to dream in -what more could he ask? A few flowers at his feet and above him the stars.”

- Victor Hugo







"I was sleeping, and being comforted
by a cool breeze, when suddenly a gray dove
from a thicket sang and sobbed with longing,
and reminded me of my own passion.

I had been away from my own soul so long,
so late-sleeping, but that dove's crying
woke me and made me cry. Praise
to all early-waking grievers!"



- Adi al-Riga, quoted in The Essential Rumi, Coleman Barks





















2 comments:

  1. These are beautiful. Love the bright pinks against the wood.

    ReplyDelete
  2. So happy to have been invited to the flower potluck!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...