Pages

Wednesday, August 14, 2013

in a dream




I
conversed
with
you
in
a
dream.

- Sappho




It's midway through August, and what have I done with my summer? July was lost in some ways to my Bell's Palsy episode. Which is not to say that I didn't take quite a bit from the experience.

What I have done, I suppose, is to let my subconscious work out what the next book might be. What I want it to be. 

I would like, in my next book, to converse with you as though in a dream. I would like it to be that silent. That real. 

And light. I would like it to be filled with a sort of late summer, golden, liquid light.







I want to resemble a sort of liquid light which stretches beyond visibility or invisibility. Tonight I wish to have the valor and daring to belong to the moon.


- Virginia Woolf







And this fall, the dream of shutting myself up into this little world of mine, for days at a time, to begin this new little world, to feel its delights.




“I feel so intensely the delights of shutting oneself up in a little world of one’s own, with pictures and music and everything beautiful.”


- Virginia Woolf







“I want to write a novel about Silence," he said; “the things people don’t say.”

- Virginia Woolf, The Voyage Out




One of my favourite Woolf quotations:


“No need to hurry. No need to sparkle. No need to be anybody but oneself.”


- Virginia Woolf






Of course, this is all very easy to say. But there are days when I'm hopeful, and this is one of them. 

Usually, this is how it is. As I finish up one work, polish and edit it, the next one begins to announce itself. Even though I'm telling myself, oh for heaven's sake, write something that masses of people will buy for a change, this is quickly erased, by the demands of the work itself. So it should be. 




2 comments:

  1. yes, how wise! this is your book to write, you know that golden light and dusk bird songs and breathing quietly...no one else can do it as well as you, and you could do nothing as well as it, for it is yours...your work as a prayer of love for the world! looking forward to what you share of the process!
    birds sing artblog

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thank you for the lovely words - i needed to hear them. xo

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...