Pages

Wednesday, August 7, 2013

the garden going on without us



A virtual drink on the patio with you all.....

Green iced tea. Freshly watered flowers.

Currently in love with the poppies planted from seeds in a single pot. A new one every day.







I was just reminded of this poem this morning as someone posted it on Facebook. By the incredible Lorna Crozier. Was lucky enough to meet her and hear her speak at the latest TWUC AGM. One of Canada's treasures, she is.


In Moonlight

by Lorna Crozier

Something moves
just beyond the mind's
clumsy fingers.

It has to do with seeds.
The earth's insomnia.
The garden going on
without us

needing no one
to watch it

not even the moon.





I know there a couple of you out there that will enjoy this poem about weeds by Roethke:




LONG LIVE THE WEEDS

Theodore Roethke 

Long live the weeds that overwhelm
My narrow vegetable realm! -
The bitter rock, the barren soil
That force the son of man to toil;
All things unholy, marked by curse,
The ugly of the universe.
The rough, the wicked, and the wild
That keep the spirit undefiled.
With these I match my little wit
And earn the right to stand or sit,
Hope, look, create, or drink and die:
These shape the creature that is I.








I'm also fond of the rose bush, "Pink Lemonade" that I was assured by the person who sold it to me was a zone 3. Sceptical, I looked it up back home and it's a zone 6. So, will try to perhaps over winter it indoors.








The lavatera is out now - also planted from a packet of seeds. 





Usually we've planted a few pots with begonias, but this year only one. They've become so pricey haven't they?










And here they are again, the lovely poppies. One has to stare at an empty pot for quite a while but when they come out, what a delight.









In other news. 

Yes, did indeed succumb to Pinterest. Join me? :) I keep thinking it's something that poets could be exploiting more fully. 

Feeling: Much less rubbish, thanks to those of you who've been asking. Energy coming back, the Bell's Palsy almost completely vanished. Can't say how thankful I am for this return to good health. Holy.

Watching: Still with the William and Mary series. 12 episodes in total, a few left to go. It's been a very lovely binge. Still so impressed with the acting of Martin Clunes, and an excellent cast altogether. The writing of the show is just so good. 

Wishing you all a lovely day. 

Time for me to get out and walk the dog, sit in the garden. 









1 comment:

  1. I agree that the begonias have become very pricey. Unfortunate, since that is one of my favorite flowers, especially since I discovered that the flower petals are edible. They make the most astounding jelly, delicate in flavor, superb in color. I loved your garden pictures this morning, and the Crozier poem. Thank you.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...