Pages

Wednesday, August 28, 2013

the means to gain happiness





“The question of how shall we live is a never-answered question. It’s a constant argument.” 




A quotation that keeps repeating in my head. This constant argument.






Some photographs for you this morning - yesterday's walk with Ace, in the fog. (Which isn't something we get very often here).

I went out to capture the fog and to see how it would change the landscape that I see every day, to see how it would bring it alive for me. Because we become dull to the every day, in spite of our best attempts otherwise. The surprising thing was that there were all these spiderwebs - at least one between each fence post on the wire. Had they been there all along, or was I seeing them because of the particular light and atmosphere of a foggy day? Was it the light dew that made them visible?

So. A ridiculous number of photos, then. A slow walk along the fence by the utility corridor:








“The means to gain happiness is to throw out from oneself like a spider in all directions an adhesive web of love, and to catch in it all that comes.”


- Tolstoy








































11 comments:

  1. Your spiderweb shots are exquisite!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Absolutely beautiful photos, Shawna!! I love them.

    ReplyDelete
  3. So gorgeous, Shawna. And what a beautiful claim, from Tolstoy. I believe it's true.

    ReplyDelete
  4. The busy-ness of the term is upon us, and I'm trying to think of ways to create still moments in my life when I can simply be rather than trying to get things done. Thank you for these photographs, which are almost a visual argument for being.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love the pace of this walk... feeling all the better for it. Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Shawna, my favorites are of the fence lines...something about that is mysterious and serene.

    ReplyDelete
  7. So many wonderful comments - thanks to you all. Wow.

    ReplyDelete
  8. so much I could say but I think I get too wordy. I adore, adore every single one of these fog images so much. I love fog, always have. I find it comforting. When we lived up north on the farm, we had a lot of dew and some fog -- yes, those webs are always there. It's like the fog rolls in and "uncovers" them -- a bit of a paradox to say.
    Love both quotes but especially Tolstoy's. Love this post very much.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Those webs are perfection! They don't even look real . . . more like someone drew them on. Hard to believe they were there all along. Makes you wonder what else is out there hiding in plain sight. I also love the fence line and path leading into the fog. Such a compelling image, that begs the question, what's out there?

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...