Monday, September 23, 2013

if the light is the soul





- from A Mood of Quiet Beauty by John Ashbery

"The evening light was like honey in the trees
When you left me and walked to the end of the street
Where the sunset abruptly ended."






"If the light is the soul
then soul is what's 
all around me. 

It is you, 
it is around you too, 
it is you."



- from "Altars of Light" by Pierre Joris




This morning at breakfast, Rob talked about the new painting he'll be beginning today. Chloe is going off to school happily because her first class of the day is art. They asked me, what will you be working on today? Because I work the coming weekend at the library, this means I only have 2 shifts during the week. I've not begun the editing on my poetry book - that begins in October.

I didn't have an answer. Gathering, I suppose. Reading and thinking, and maybe photographing this or that. I didn't have an answer, and that was rather nice. Because I'm the sort of person who is usually doggedly intense about whatever project I have in mind. I usually know what I'm going to work on before I finish the thing at hand. I have ideas right now, but I don't know. Which feels strangely liberating.






from A Breath of Life by Clarice Lispector:


"Suddenly things no longer need to make sense. I'm satisfied with being. Are you? Certainly you are. The meaninglessness of things makes me smile complacently. Everything surely must go on being what it is."

"Today is a day of nothing. Today is down to the wire. Could there be a number that is nothing? that is less than zero? that begins where there is no beginning because it always was? and was before always? I tap into this vital absence..."




3 comments:

  1. "I have ideas right now, but I don't know. Which feels strangely liberating."

    I've just found my way to this place, too, and wrote about it here:

    http://shaunhunter.ca/news/2013/9/14/a-fallow-summer

    You will notice that one of your posts this summer on going fallow plays a part. Thanks, Shawna.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Your photos and thoughts, as always, dear Shawna, are breathtaking. Gorgeous, gorgeous, gorgeous...so blessed we are to have you in this world.

      Delete