Pages

Wednesday, September 18, 2013

it needs repeating






Poem for someone who is juggling her life

by Rose Cook

This is a poem for someone
who is juggling her life.
Be still sometimes.
Be still sometimes.

It needs repeating
over and over
to catch her attention
over and over
because someone juggling her life
finds it difficult to hear.

Be still sometimes.
Be still sometimes.
Let it all fall sometimes.






I found the above poem on Anthony Wilson's site, where he collects a series of what he calls "lifesaving poems." I think this is a brilliant idea - to copy those poems which save your life, into a notebook, or maybe onto a blog. You never know when you'll need to refer to one of them again. Each person's book will be different, of course. Much like the idea of a commonplace book.

This blog is very much a commonplace book. I use it to remember things, to dash down this snippet or that, to remember how the light was one fall. To remember what I love. To remember to be still.









To remember that there is music too, even when it's silence I'm obsessed with finding.









To remember that change isn't always sudden. How one season becomes another.









To remember the scent of sweet peas in the middle of winter.

These from my parents' backyard:








To remember to stop juggling my life for a little. To just sit. Yes. Just sit.

With deep thanks to Rose Cook for this morning's words.



2 comments:

  1. every one of these images enthralls. When I see those of the sweet peas in your parents' garden it so reminds me of my own mother's garden. I miss her so. Sweet peas are one of the touchstones.
    When I was writing I kept commonplace books. In fact, I still have them -- boxed up but they still exist. I can't say why I stopped keeping one. I think that happened when I quit writing and that was when my mother died. I don't write anymore; I simply photograph.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...