Pages

Wednesday, September 4, 2013

the heart finds itself open



So this is the way summer winds down, with a golden hue, the light that W.S. Merwin says, in "To the Light of September," is "neither / before nor after."  {Read the whole poem here}

This is the view out our back door, the one off the kitchen. I love the reflections that create a sort of double exposure.







 Here are the very late bloomers - one can't help but root for them....









There's a poem by Olav Hauge, the Norwegian poet, that I've been thinking about this past week. (His book, transl. by Bly and Hedin on my recommended shelf). 




This is the Dream 

This is the dream we carry through the world
that something fantastic will happen
that it has to happen
that time will open by itself
that doors shall open by themselves
that the heart will find itself open
that mountain springs will jump up
that the dream will open by itself
that we one early morning
will slip into a harbor 
that we have never known.







We writers and artists, too, know that doors don't usually just open, but oh, how can we stop ourselves from occasionally thinking that something fantastic will happen?

The only thing we can do is open our hearts.

And once in a while, something good and lovely happens, like a publisher calls you up and accepts your book.

I've lately heard that my book, Asking, (poems, poem-essays), has been accepted for publication in Spring, 2014, by Seraphim Editions. I'm busy being quietly happy and content about it, because I do believe that it's important neither to get wildly ecstatic about fantastic news, or crashingly sad about the lousy news. But the news is good and nice, and I'm going to take some time and enjoy it, let it sink in.

And I'll also be taking time to enjoy the September light, which really is exquisite and beautifully sad and gorgeous all at once.







If we're contacts on Facebook, you'll have read about my two new spider sentinels in the vine in my backyard.....They freak me out a fair bit, but what amazing webs.....









8 comments:

  1. Congratulations on new book!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for this delightful fall-light post Shauna. And big cheers to your good news! Wonderful.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Felicidades on the publishing news, Shauna, and I completely understand your reaction. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Well done, Shawna, congrats. We all should have a little freaky sentinel to keep us on our path. A jewel spider (. . .I think . . . ) at least has a precious name along with that important job.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...