Pages

Friday, September 13, 2013

the risk it takes to blossom






Ten thousand flowers in spring, the moon in autumn

by Wu Men (Hui-k'ai)
transl. by Stephen Mitchell

Ten thousand flowers in spring, the moon in autumn,
a cool breeze in summer, snow in winter.
If your mind isn't clouded by unnecessary things,
this is the best season of your life.








"...and the time came when the risk it took to remain in a tightly closed bud became infinitely more painful than the risk it took to blossom."

- Anaïs Nin








From the notebooks of Anna Kamienska:

"At the beginning of a new notebook I copy a quote from Simone Weil, which captures me completely: “Don’t insist on understanding new things, but try with your whole self, with patience, effort and method, to comprehend obvious truths.”

This quote conducts a polemic with the ceaseless, barbaric pursuit of novelty and disdain for obvious, primary truths.

And so all my notes, all these snail’s traces, are the realization of Simone’s one thought. I won’t and can’t discover anything, I want only with my whole self to reach the heart of obvious truths."





"How to write so that the poem is as close as possible to silence? Zen—to play on the lute without strings.

Simplicity—of course. But how? What kind?"






I always find it interesting when I read the words of one writer beside another. These unexpected resonances or clashes. Sometimes I think I should say something about those ripples, those sparks that come out of doing this, for me. But then I imagine they likely do the same for you, and maybe silence is best.





3 comments:

  1. i treasure the silence.
    but then the ever present urge when with company to over talk.
    shyness compensation? exuberance to share?
    i vow always to work on it in my next silence.
    rinse and repeat. rinse and repeat.
    i love this post.

    ReplyDelete
  2. i know all about shyness compensation, lol! thanks for this, Tammy :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. "Sometimes I think I should say something about those ripples, those sparks that come out of doing this, for me. But then I imagine they likely do the same for you, and maybe silence is best." ... well yes, sometimes it is ... though I do always love to read how you perceive some of these ripples. Another lovely, thoughtful post -- and some dynamite photos

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...