Pages

Saturday, September 21, 2013

when I see such things






"So it happens that I am and look.
Above me a white butterfly is fluttering through the air
on wings that are its alone
and a shadow skims through my hands
that is none other, no one else's, but its own.

When I see such things I'm no longer sure
that what's important
is more important than what's not."



- from Wislawa Szymborska's poem "No Title Required"







Sometimes, it becomes less about making an excellent photograph, than in seeing things while photographing, and then seeing what the camera sees through that seeing. Seeing what you can't see while photographing what you can see. Seeing how the camera transforms one's seeing of light. Seeing what's not important. The insignificant, the fleeting, the secrets surrounding an object, a person, nature.

Sometimes, taking these photographs, I feel like I'm looking for the secrets of the universe. The rented seams. The other side. Same as in writing.

The butterfly's fleeting shadow.






“A picture is a secret about a secret, the more it tells you the less you know.”

-  Diane Arbus







“If you scrutinize reality closely enough, if in some way you really, really get to it, it becomes fantastic.”

- Diane Arbus










The secrets of light which after years of taking photos, I'm only learning hints of. 








The silence that certain kinds of light can bring you too, the kinds of peace you can get to through light.














Light teaches me about stillness. About sitting.

The importance of closing your eyes to see things.

To feel the movement of light through closed eyes.







That light never holds back.

It comes through to whatever degree it's able.






Listening to this, while jotting down these thoughts.






2 comments:

  1. there are some words i hold back. they are too dear to use often or lightly.
    but when i kept scrolling through these pictures and reading what was written ~
    well. it's all just exquisite.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. makes me happy to read your words, Tammy, thank you :)

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...