Pages

Friday, October 25, 2013

also it is transitory, flying, diaphanous





“Now is life very solid or very shifting? I am haunted by the two contradictions. This has gone on forever; goes down to the bottom of the world -- this moment I stand on. Also it is transitory, flying, diaphanous. I shall pass like a cloud on the waves. Perhaps it may be that though we change, one flying after another, so quick, so quick, yet we are somehow successive and continuous we human beings, and show the light through. But what is the light?”



- Virginia Woolf, A Writer's Diary, Friday, January 4th, 1929







And I am returning to Virginia Woolf as I settle into Hello, The Roses by Mei-Mei Berssenbrugge. There's an interesting interview with her here, from 2006, but still worth reading, especially the parts about her process. Her book is on my recommended shelf, above.







Her poetry is a flowing, an intensity, a tempered wildness, and so it doesn't do it justice to excerpt, but, from Hello, The Roses:

"That's why I love to look at an environment in nature with poetic feeling that magnifies toward the past when something beautiful reminds me of an image in another's poem I know by heart."






That life is transitory, it is light, but also solid - I suppose the impulse to get at this contradiction is what's behind my recurring bird series.....


The first photograph of this post was taken very early one morning, after breakfast, the sun not quite up.

This next photo is an early evening shot.





And this one - sunrise. I had to move the bird from it's usual perch, its back to the west. Here, we're looking eastward.






Running through all these photographs, the question, what is light?





1 comment:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...