Pages

Sunday, October 13, 2013

interest is continuous





“My first memory is of light - the brightness of light - light all around.”


- Georgia O'Keeffe







“I think it's so foolish for people to want to be happy. Happy is so momentary - you're happy for an instant and then you start thinking again. Interest is the most important thing in life; happiness is temporary, but interest is continuous.”


- Georgia O'Keeffe







I've spent part of my morning obsessing over Georgia O'Keeffe...looking at her flower images, mainly. And images of her. Some of which you can see by looking at my recent pins on Pinterest.



I have to admit, my reveries on her work, and the idea of 'a continuous interest' brought me around to pining about what it would be like to devote one's entire life to making art. I mean, it's never just that, right, no matter what it might look like from the outside. But to be able to concentrate mainly on this point of interest every single day. Which must transform one's approach to art making, to creativity, to one's own soul. It must transform, even, one's relationship with light, the experience of it.

Instead, in real life, most of us who create, will be split, constantly, and sometimes split in myriad ways, our attention being drawn in many directions at once. Thinking about those requirements of a part or full time job. Thinking about the needs of family. And trying to be in the larger world with some grace, some elegance, some consideration for others.

But then I come back to O'Keeffe's "interest is the most important thing in life," and am thankful that I have the time that I do have to pursue those interests.






And it is Thanksgiving weekend here, and a beautiful one at that. And there's much indeed, for which to be thankful. I'm very thankful for everyone who stops in here to my odd little blog, for all the comments you leave, and for the good vibes you bring to this space. Thank you. 



4 comments:

  1. No, thank you. I enjoy your blog every week.
    alan girling

    ReplyDelete
  2. Agreed. Thank you Shawna for this calm and beautiful space. Happy Thanksgiving.

    ReplyDelete
  3. And yet I still chase happiness. Happy Thanksgiving Shawna...

    ReplyDelete
  4. Shawna, though I'm here after Thanksgiving, I am thankful for you and your little blog. I may not have time to always stop by, though when I do, I leave with a sense of calm and perhaps given to thinking more deeply about something you may have said, shared, or shown. Thank you.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...