Pages

Thursday, October 17, 2013

let yourself be silently drawn






"I don't believe in the other world

But I don't believe in this world either
if it's not penetrated by light"


- Anna Kamienska, from Astonishments






Paradise is scattered over the whole earth, and that is why it has become so unrecognizable.

- Novalis





"One does not become enlightened
by imagining light,
but by making the darkness conscious."


- C.G. Jung






"I do believe in an everyday sort of magic - the inexplicable connectedness we sometimes experience with places, people, works of art and the like; the eerie appropriateness of moments of synchronicity; the whispered voice, the hidden presence, when we think we're alone."

- Charles de Lint









It's often been like this. Tired, at the end of a day that was lovely enough, though long, and not without wretched and ridiculous disappointment, I looked out the back kitchen window and saw the light was catching the vine. I'd left the camera on the kitchen table, so I grabbed it, and headed out and snapped a few shots of the light on the Virginia creeper. And then swung the camera out a bit so I could include the Buddha statue in the frame. I had what I thought was the perfect shot (above) - but the dog had walked into the shot. And so maybe it is the best of all these. Brings me down to earth, anyway. My perfect shot with dog's posterior.






So then I set about to recreate the shot I'd liked so much, sans pup. But how quickly the light changes! Sinks down and filters through other leaves. But I was satisfied with the one below.







Still, the light seemed such a miracle, the flares a sort of magic. This golden light, too, will soon be replaced by winter light. I felt obligated to capture as much as possible - the way the light arrives in my backyard after an early dinner in the month of October.







“Let yourself be silently drawn by the strange pull of what you really love. 
It will not lead you astray.” 


- Rumi










3 comments:

  1. I love this post Shawna. I love light, and the way you've made it present. (And what can surpass my memory of Monday's quotidian light passing through bed sheets on my mother's clothes line?)

    ReplyDelete
  2. beautiful photos. late afternoon light is so amazing sometimes and so fleeting. i love how your dog got in some of the photos... it looks like he/she was enjoying the moment as well.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks Vicki and Stephen - light is one of the great mysteries....I love thinking about it, looking at how it transforms the world, us.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...