Pages

Wednesday, October 9, 2013

one's inner life





“I do believe it is possible to create, even without ever writing a word or painting a picture, by simply molding one’s inner life. And that too is a deed.”






“One must also accept that one has 'uncreative' moments. The more honestly one can accept that, the quicker these moments will pass.” 

- Etty Hillesum








This idea that molding one's inner life, and perhaps one's outer life as well, is a creative act. All of life, all of living, can be a work of art. But certainly what we read, what we listen to, and what we look at, shapes us in profound ways.

For some people I know, their entire life seems to me to be a work of art. They have that knack for organizing people, family, and making everything beautiful, making incredible food, and composing dinner parties as though they were huge, sprawling paintings. As for me, I'm thrilled when something I make for Rob and Chloe turns out, looks nice, and is edible.

I had bought plums because they're so lovely to look at. Too many of them. No one much likes plums except for me. And they were ripe and something had to be done, and so thanks to good old Pinterest, I found this recipe which included instructions on making your own puff pastry. This was not for me, so I bought frozen puff pastry, and the rest took about 10 minutes.





We always have apples, and so I threw together an apple one as well.








I'm not sure why, but the photos I take of sweet things, always turn out better than the healthier fare we try to steer toward.

Nevertheless, here is a bowl of ramen with bok choy and sprouts thrown in. My go-to comfort food.








A kale caesar salad.







Oh, oops. We're back to the sweets. Honestly, these were delicious. You couldn't eat them every day, but oh yes, totally decadent.

What they are, don't laugh, is Pillsbury cinnamon buns, you know - from the tube. And then you put them in the waffle maker instead of the oven. The house smells instantly of cinnamon and sweetness....talk about great aromatherapy.

Sometimes I get to the end of a blog post like this and shake my head. I begin with the profound words of the amazing Etty Hillesum (if you haven't read her Interrupted Life, I recommend it), and end up at Pillsbury pastry dough. But I suppose this, too, is the way life is. All of it muddling together in a day, and some of it more mundane than the rest.....






No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...