Pages

Monday, October 7, 2013

the grief of leaves






"This Bright Day" by A.R. Ammons, from Poetry Since 1912






“Poetry leads us to the unstructured sources of our beings, to the unknown, and returns us to our rational, structured selves refreshed. Having once experienced the mystery, plenitude, contradiction, and composure of a work of art, we afterward have a built-in resistance to the slogans and propaganda of oversimplification that have often contributed to the destruction of human life. Poetry is a verbal means to a nonverbal source. It is a motion to no-motion, to the still point of contemplation and deep realization.”

- A.R. Ammons


Take a look at A.R. Ammons notebook here.





The poem is one that should be read aloud amongst the fall trees. Or read silently. Either would do.

The idea that grief doesn't go away, but instead, we learn the sky. The vastness of it all, the brightness. 

In all honesty, I've not read much of Ammons' work. But I like what he says about poetry - how it refreshes, how it can act as an antidote to the daily oversimplifications. The slogans, as he says. I don't suppose he had to navigate social media. But poetry can be an antidote to all that as well, to the daily news, and to the endless advertising that we swim in and even forget that we do. I think we need poetry more than ever before. 







A rare day for me, when I begin work early, which means I'll miss walking the dog. I'll be missing the morning, really. So, please go out and enjoy it for me will you? 

Today's photos are from a walk last week, after a drizzling rain. The grey sky was bright though, and was the perfect softness to take photos all along the fence I often walk beside. 











1 comment:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...