Pages

Tuesday, October 22, 2013

virtual coffee and scones




If you were to come to my house this morning for coffee, we'd sit at the kitchen table and have mini lemon scones and jam. Ace would be wagging his tale like mad and circling around you in hopes that you pet him. With luck he wouldn't knock you over.







Eventually, the dog would settle down and find a spot in the sun and doze off. And we'd talk about you and I'd tell you about me. If you have a kid or two, maybe we'd start there first. Comparing notes. Often, it comes down to, are they happy? Do they enjoy school?

Then, I'd tell you about this event I'm taking part in on Thursday for LitFest. There's a new anthology out, called Shy, in which I have an essay. You can tell the essay was written some time ago, because I mention Chloe and she's four years old. (Now fifteen).

I'd tell you that I have the new Mei-Mei Berssenbrugge book, Hello, The Roses, but haven't found the right time and space to read it properly yet.







I'd make you a nice strong cup of coffee, and then put a scoop of butterscotch ripple in it.






We'd watch the ice cream melt. We'd note the way it changes the colour of the coffee to a dark, rich tone to a warm, swirly brown one.






I'd tell you about working at the library. I'd tell you about the book club I run there which meets once a month. About all the one on one help we do with various devices. Showing people how to get library books to download on their tablet, for example. I'll tell you about the newly homeless fellow who I helped find shelter for the night. The teen who was dropped off at the library by his foster parent of 2 weeks, and he was worried, five hours later, that she might not return for him. How he had not a dime in his pocket, no i.d., no telephone number to call. I'd tell you about the verbal fight we had to break up before it escalated. I'd tell you about all the sweet kids who came to my family story time. The little girl who just wanted us to sing Twinkle Twinkle Little Star over and over. All the people applying for jobs, typing up their resumes on the public computers. I'd tell you about how all the poetry books I put on the 'staff picks' shelf always disappear. And then, I'd probably stop even though there are more stories. I have a tendency to go on about the library, and you've heard a lot of this before. So.







Maybe we'd talk about recent TV or movies that we've watched. I'd tell you about the British series, The Hour. We'd talk about the acting, very, very good, about Romola Garai, who also played Emma. Most of the TV I watch these days is British - surprising I don't have an accent by now.

We've also recently watched Zen and next up is the Blechley Circle. both taken out from the library.






We'd stray back to talking about literature. If you're a writer, we'll talk about what we've written lately. I'll point you toward Canadian Poetries, where I wrote this piece for the poets on art section. We'll compare notes about publishers, about where our work is at. We'll talk about rejection. Who was kind, who was brusque, and we'll talk about the 'no-response-response,' a pet-peeve. More importantly we'll talk about what we're writing now, or next. Maybe we'll talk about our 3 year plans, our 5 year plans. I'll tell you that in less than 3 years I'll be 50, and what I hope to have accomplished by then.





On the way out, we'll pause to look at Rob's recent painting. Then say, goodbye, until next time.





10 comments:

  1. That was almost as good as actually having tea with you, S!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I would love to have tea with you :) Some day!

      Delete
  2. This was delightful Shawna. Wonderful stories, wonderful heart, to which I happily listen. (Very sad I'm out of town and so will miss your reading tomorrow.)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I so enjoyed this virtual visit. When I come for coffee and scones, you may talk about your library work all you want...I'd love to hear about it!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks Stephen and Susan. I really need to bring out the coffee more often :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thank you for coffee, Shawna! I'm driving up for LitFest this afternoon, but will be attending the other event tonight, in Millwoods. Why do they double-book like that? Have an excellent reading. Looking forward to meeting you in person one day.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Shaun, you're welcome :) Any time. Too bad we'll miss each other tonight! So many events going on all the time, I can't keep up. Are you reading as well?

      Delete
    2. Not reading this year, simply enjoying. Catch you next time!

      Delete
  6. Butterscotch ripple in coffee! Wow, that sounds / looks delicious! I too love the library stories. A Library Stories Story Time at the library would be brilliant . . .

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...