Pages

Tuesday, November 26, 2013

joy, my joy





Sorrow, my sorrow,
You are everywhere available.
Joy, my joy,
Do tell me when
You will be achievable.

- Sri Chinmoy





To escape the computer yesterday and all the emails that were coming in and the emails that weren't coming in, I took stacks of books to the kitchen table. The usual suspects. Woolf, Lispector, Cixous, Berssenbrugge. Also, Mary Ruefle's Madness, Rack, and Honey. Particularly, I was reading her "Short Lectures." And so this morning, because I'm still thinking about them - their understated wit, all round brilliance - I thought, yes, I'll share them on my blog. I couldn't find any of the text for them online. (She does have a marvellous website though). Best of all though - this YouTube video of her reading the "Short Lectures." So. Great. Even if you don't have time for all, do listen to a few. She's incredible. (Her books are on the recommended shelf above).




I needed to be inspired yesterday, reminded of why and what I want to write, and M,R, and H did the trick.


Meanwhile - loving this song by Alejandra Ribera. I want.





I also want the life force back in my blood...I want everything. And poetry. And joy, too.



4 comments:

  1. Shawna, Wonderful song, thoughts...and thank you for the links.

    As a child, when St. Therese of Lisieux, also know as 'Therese the Little Flower,' was asked to choose something from a basket of colourful toys, she said, "I choose all."

    ReplyDelete
  2. so. like mary ruefle.
    trusting you will "let nothing cheat steal or deflect you from it"
    she was irritating inspiring brilliant and definitive in the extreme to me! i'm glad to see this. i have never read her books. nor have i ever seen her. very lovely really.
    and the music at the end 'rave on' i loved!
    also ... now i have to find that film on the 'mystery of picasso.'
    thank you shawna!
    have a wonderful thanksgiving.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I really enjoyed the music - now to a taste of the lecture - thanks!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...