Pages

Friday, November 8, 2013

let the light of your madness shine


“‎...the sole purpose of human existence
is to kindle a light
in the darkness of mere being.”


- C.G. Jung





“Be silent and listen: have you recognized your madness and do you admit it? Have you noticed that all your foundations are completely mired in madness? Do you not want to recognize your madness and welcome it in a friendly manner? You wanted to accept everything. So accept madness too. Let the light of your madness shine, and it will suddenly dawn on you. Madness is not to be despised and not to be feared, but instead you should give it life...If you want to find paths, you should also not spurn madness, since it makes up such a great part of your nature...Be glad that you can recognize it, for you will thus avoid becoming its victim. Madness is a special form of the spirit and clings to all teachings and philosophies, but even more to daily life, since life itself is full of craziness and at bottom utterly illogical. Man strives toward reason only so that he can make rules for himself. Life itself has no rules. That is its mystery and its unknown law. What you call knowledge is an attempt to impose something comprehensible on life.” 


- C.G. Jung, The Red Book





I woke at 5 am this morning, which isn't all that unusual, but nor is it exactly what I'd wish for. In truth it's been a pretty odd week, quite lousy in some ways. Madness, I can say, does indeed cling to daily life. Among various things seriously not going my way, plus feeling mainly like rubbish, I discovered a hole in one of those very old fillings in a top molar. I suppose I say this because, looking back at the posts for the week, I actually seem pretty serene, like I must have this lovely perfect calm life, all dog walks in the snow, taking pretty photos, and reading poetry, and sipping coffee. A little writing angst thrown in there for good measure, but nothing drastic. I know you all know better.

"If you want to find paths...."

"Life itself has no rules."


I'm here to kindle a light, mainly my own, I'll be perfectly honest. To share the madness of daily life, the beautiful madness. Which is never just one thing, is it?



4 comments:

  1. this is one of the most beautiful blogs I've seen
    thank you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. what a nice thing to say! thanks Lena!

      Delete
  2. I smiled all the way through this post. I love Calm Things, but I also love this opening into the occasional madness beneath.

    ReplyDelete
  3. ... the beautiful madness...
    yes... lovely

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...