Pages

Friday, November 22, 2013

these are the days that must happen to you



Photographs taken in my backyard.

The following excerpts from Walt Whitman's Song of the Open Road:



Listen! I will be honest with you,
I do not offer the old smooth prizes, but offer rough new prizes,
These are the days that must happen to you:
You shall not heap up what is call’d riches,
You shall scatter with lavish hand all that you earn or achieve







Here is the efflux of the soul,
The efflux of the soul comes from within through embower’d gates, ever provoking questions,
These yearnings why are they? these thoughts in the darkness why are they?
Why are there men and women that while they are nigh me the sunlight expands my blood?
Why when they leave me do my pennants of joy sink flat and lank?
Why are there trees I never walk under but large and melodious thoughts descend upon me?
(I think they hang there winter and summer on those trees and always drop fruit as I pass;)









The efflux of the soul is happiness, here is happiness,
I think it pervades the open air, waiting at all times,
Now it flows unto us, we are rightly charged.







"All seems beautiful to me..."






These are the days that must happen to you.

(Truly). 





7 comments:

  1. love your blog Shawna !!! Everything.... from your title, your quotes ,your photos ,and especially your own writings. Words to remind me of my rather mindless ways. Thinking of you a lot as of late. xo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Sue :) Nice surprise to see you here :) xo

      Delete
  2. A gorgeous feast of words and photos. The words "these are the days that must happen to you" are highly relevant to me right now. A beautiful post. Thanks so much!

    ReplyDelete
  3. we await snow.
    probably not as much as you have. but still . . .
    how i will love it and be happy it has happened in my day.
    like sherry said so well. this blog is a gorgeous feast of words and photos.
    thank you dear heart for this site.
    it's like my own little silent retreat.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks Tammy and Sherry. Finally stopped snowing here! We do have a lot especially for November.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Your pictures are beautiful and calming as are the words. Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  6. There is magic in the white blanket that causes us to curl inward and search for these thoughts!
    Thank you Shawna for sharing yours~
    Gorgeous photos and words

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...