Pages

Thursday, December 12, 2013

blessed snow


Snow

by Anne Sexton

Snow,
blessed snow,
comes out of the sky
like bleached flies.
The ground is no longer naked.
The ground has on its clothes.
The trees poke out of sheets
and each branch wears the sock of God.

There is hope.
There is hope everywhere.
I bite it.
Someone once said:
Don't bite till you know
if it's bread or stone.
What I bite is all bread,
rising, yeasty as a cloud.

There is hope.
There is hope everywhere.
Today God gives milk
and I have the pail.




It snowed yesterday most of the day, and it's snowing this morning.

And I'm going to attempt to think of it as a blessing, as hope. The light will return eventually, to illuminate all the places where the snow has found to rest and to bless.












I do enjoy my morning walks with the crazy pup - who likes to stop once in a while and bury himself in the snow. He sticks his entire head in and then comes up for air to see if I'm still at the end of the leash.








Back home he usually takes up residence at the top of the stairs for a while. And this is when, if I'm not on a work day, will head to my study down the hall with tea.





3 comments:

  1. i'm in love with that pup.
    there is nothing like a black lab in the snow. or any kind of water for that matter! LOL.
    the poem is especially beautiful with your pictures.
    you keep outdoing yourself.
    and no.
    i'm not keeping score!
    i'm just totally completely indisputably enjoying the ride!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. What a great thing to say :)

      I do love that crazy dog, too!

      Delete
    2. oh your dog just melted my heart. lovely photos.

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...