Pages

Wednesday, December 11, 2013

my parched mouth




What matters most
is how well 
you walk
through the
fire.

- Charles Bukowski







"Don't you know yet?

It is Your Light
that lights the world."

- Rumi







Even
After
All this time
The Sun never says to the Earth,

"You owe me."

Look
What happens
With a love like that,
It lights the whole sky.


- Hafiz







“A poet is someone 
who can pour light into a cup, 
then raise it to nourish 
your beautiful parched, 
holy mouth.”

- Hafiz








from Altars of Light by Pierre Joris:


If the light is the soul 
then soul is what's 
all around me. 

It is you, 
it is around you too, 
it is you. 







I needed to find some light yesterday, and my feet led me to the usual suburban forest in the next neighbourhood. The good thing about last week's cold snap (days where the temperature felt like -40c with the windchill) is that -20c felt just fine. There was no wind, and we stayed outdoors for about 45 minutes. I really didn't want to come home, but would have stayed in the poor little forest all morning.

I call it a poor forest, because it's small, and because it's being battered. Trees are always being pushed over. Forts are made and knocked down, and lately, buried with snow. Still, when I'm standing in it, taking my photographs, the birds are singing above. All sorts of them. And I'm happy there, and the dog is too, as he sits beside me, waiting for me to be done with this leaf, or those berries. Yesterday, the light was so beautiful and golden, and it reached through the trees with such force. All the way into my parched mouth.

I didn't want to return from the forest, I didn't want to leave the light. Altars of light. These forest fires. My soul.




























6 comments:

  1. So beautiful: the photos, the quotes, your words - Light, to the parched.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Shawna, always and again, thank you for providing sustenance. xo

    ReplyDelete
  3. And this light is my soul too. Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  4. o my god.
    yes. that's all. and far enough.
    i feel like i'm in the forest breathing the air. thank you shawna.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Shawna: so many days you've made look out the window or go on a walk and see everything around me so differently, so many days....N.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks for all your uplifting and encouraging comments! xo S.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...