Pages

Monday, January 6, 2014

go on working with the light available



“If you go on working with the light available, you will meet your Master, as he himself will be seeking you.”

― Ramana Maharshi





The beautiful, which is perhaps inseparable from art, is not after all tied to the subject, but to the pictorial representation. In this way and in no other does art overcome the ugly without avoiding it. 


- Paul Klee





He has found his style, when he cannot do otherwise. 


- Paul Klee








"When I speak of poetry I am not thinking of it as a genre. Poetry is an awareness of the world, a particular way of relating to reality." 


- Andrei Tarkovsky in Sculpting In Time






"I think there's a kind of desperate hope built into poetry that one really wants, hopelessly, to save the world. One is trying to say everything that can be said for the things that one loves while there's still time." 


- W. S. Merwin





An odd assortment of quotations, maybe, this morning. But they speak to some thoughts I've been having lately - about poetry as a stance. About making what you can out of what you have. About using available light.

The light had been almost non-existent here all over the Christmas holiday. The days are short, yes, but we've had a low, grey sky also. And then the days that were sunny - two of them - I was at work.

But I'd managed to take a lot of iPhone photos of the roses before they were entirely finished. The low light accentuates their shabbiness, perhaps.

I've been writing again, which makes me feel human. I had started off with a much grander framework in mind, but now, writing, actually doing the work, it becomes more about the individual pieces. It becomes more about, as Merwin says, saying the things I need to say about the things I love - while there is still time. The Klee quotation also speaks to me right now, because though I'd thought about saying the things I want to say in other forms, in another tone perhaps, it seems the mode I'm in is the mode. I cannot do otherwise.








Meanwhile, I'm still in love with this teapot - a Christmas present from Rob and Chloe. The weight of it. (It's made of iron). Seems to be an anchor at the centre of the day.

Meanwhile. It's the first day back to school for Chloe. Which means our schedule, our rituals, resume...I'm someone who very much needs those, though of course I'll miss having her around. It's today, I think, that will really feel like the beginning of the new year.....






6 comments:

  1. I am new to your blog and have been enjoying it a great deal. Thank you for your introspective look at those things we see daily. I took the John O' Donohue blessing you shared and will use it in my work to help connect others to their soul's calling. That post was lovely.

    I love your teapot. Can you share the brand? The color and leaf motif is appealing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love everything about this post, and about your blog. The photos, the quotes, your words. Wow. xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love the whole idea of working with what light is available - inner and outer. I envy you your gorgeous teapot! The roses are all beautiful. And the Merwin quote, especially, spoke to me this morning. Thanks so much.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you, everyone, for stopping by. Brenda - yikes - I don't know! There are no markings on the pot - and it came in a plain cardboard box. They seem to be popular at tea shops though :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wonderful collection of quotes and accompanying thoughts. And of course your photos...always inviting.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Your blog is a blessing. I enjoy it so much and your teapot is beautiful.
    Kind wishes
    Wendy

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...