Tuesday, January 21, 2014

I love what I see




"I love what I see because one day
             I'll stop seeing it. I also
             Love it because it is.
In this calm moment when I feel myself
             By loving more than by being,
             I love all existence and myself."

- Fernando Pessoa





I think it must be time for a virtual tea post. If we were having tea today, I'd tell you about this past weekend when I took Chloe to the big mall near our house and we shopped for a purse for her, but instead brought home this ceramic bunny bank. We also bought some birthday cake tea at David's.






Chloe has just begun drinking tea, usually herbal and this is a rooibos. She loved the scent of it as it steeped, but wasn't a huge fan of it otherwise. Because - you know - it's just not the same as eating a big slab of birthday cake.....

I did like it and thought it was a fun treat, though will likely stick mostly to my various Jasmine blends.




If we were having tea, I'd tell you that Rob and I have been watching season one of The Newsroom. I'd been on hold at the library for ages on the first season, and now I really want to get my hands on season two. We'd talk about how out of the TV watching loop I am, and maybe this article about the show and how to high five properly. (Honestly, internet girl? really?)

Maybe we'd agree with Fernando Pessoa, and his words, “Literature is the most agreeable way of ignoring life.”

We'd talk about what we've been reading and plan on reading. For me, lately it's been a lot of Pema Chodron, Fernando Pessoa and Adam Zagajewski. Re-reads, mainly. The next novel I read will be also one I've read before. Crossing to Safety by Wallace Stegner for the book club I run at the library, which is one of the finest books I've ever read.





Listening to: cello music on Songza. A deep craving for cello music.





If we were having tea together, I'd show you the cover design for my book, Asking, which is coming out this April. 

Yesterday, you may have noticed, I did a small redesign on the blog header of this page and on my 'Shawna Lemay' page. I added a bunch of stuff on my sidebar, and then removed it. I felt I should be doing more to sell my books, but in the end, found it was too ugly. But if you do read this blog, you really might be interested in my books, particularly Calm Things: Essays

Meanwhile, just learned that Asking is already up on Amazon. Well, then. Isn't that lovely? 

The cover design is by Rolf Busch, and the painting leaning against the wall is by my husband, Robert Lemay. The treatment is really creative, and I couldn't be happier with the cover. 

And so, now, on with our days, then. Do enjoy yours! Mine will be spent editing another manuscript and then heading off to work at the library. 

One last note - you can see the cover painting for my book Blue Feast in the photographs above and below. A little lovely gem, also by Rob. 




5 comments:

  1. Love the cover of your book and your new page header as well. :) A book I read several years ago and really enjoyed a lot was "Wish You Well" by David Baldacci. I read a lot but that was one that seemed to stick with me. As did Suzanne's Diary for Nicholas by James Patterson. Totally unexpected books from writers of their genre. I have been wanting to watch the Newsroom as well. I'm a fan of fellow Michigander Jeff Daniels and would like to see the much hyped program. For TV right now, I'm really into Downton Abby on Masterpiece Theater. Extremely well done show. Enjoy your day. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. i still reach for your first book almost daily, I can't wait to purchase this one. x

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lovely cover on your book Asking, you have such an eye for simple beauty.
    Noticed your new header- very pretty.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love that Rob's paintings are present here and on the covers - so eye catching.

    I'm the person who wonders, why do you change the headers? Each one seemed so right! This from a girl who grew up with a mom who rearranged furniture all the time, and I would wonder: Why are you doing this? What was wrong with it? You will note, however, the next time you come over, that I have rearranged things. I am taking a page from your book, Shawna.

    And speaking of books, I look forward to reading Asking (ordering from Amazon now), and adding many of your Reading List recommendations to my wish list.
    Thanks for all the inspiration and daily loveliness. Well done, my friend.

    And who wouldn't want that awesome bank! Good get!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I admit - I'm both excited and scared about the book - suddenly so real :)

    Lucy - I think that's it - just like redecorating...

    ReplyDelete