Pages

Tuesday, January 7, 2014

more light, winter light




“Don’t think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it’s good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art.”

- Andy Warhol







One thing that my daily photography and blogging practice has taught me is something very much like what Warhol is saying in the quotation above. My goal has been to catch some of the beauty of the days, and to record what I can here, what I've seen in my daily navigation of the world. To record some thoughts, and to jot down notes on what I've read or what I want to read. The posts are often written quickly, before our daughter gets out of bed. (The race is on to say something not entirely silly before 7am.....).

Very often I post photographs that I'm not entirely satisfied with. And then months and months later, I look back and think, oh, they weren't so bad. I was just looking at some photos that I took in the summer that I thought were kind of drab at the time - and that now look rather vibrant and wonderful, to me.

When I'm not satisfied with a post, what I tell myself is that perfection is not the goal here. The goal is to keep making art, taking photos. To keep trying to say something rather simple about the beauty of each day. And lately, about the beauty of this particularly harsh winter. The winter abundant in snow. And sometimes freezing rain....This winter of the heavy grey days. The winter in which we are being slowly starved of light....





You can see the lack of light in these photos.....

I keep running the last words of the German poet, Goethe over in my head..."More light!"

Though apparently his true last words went like so:

"Do open the shutter of the bedroom so that more light may enter."



And so, while we may wish for more light, there is something lovely about the grey sky, the purplish shadows in the snow.








There is certainly some beauty in the way snow clings so fiercely and lightly to branches.










Lastly, yet another small brag. Calm Things has been nominated in a couple of categories for the 2014 Canadian Weblog Awards. Very lovely to have been noticed and nominated - and of course the procedure is just getting underway. This will be fun to see play our over the next many months.



4 comments:

  1. Thank you for this. I agree with you about the assessment of photos months after they were taken. I often let my vacation photos sit and sit, then I marvel at them. I feel the same way about the photos on my blog.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Congratulations on your nomination!
    It is truly well-deserved.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Congrats on the nomination. I feel for the birds and other wild creatures in such a snowy winter. I hope they can find some shelter. Your photos are glorious.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have the same philosophy Shawna, i take photos on a daily basis, just capturing whatever happens to catch my eye, recording little moments. Sometimes I'm happy with them, often times not but as you say, that's not the goal here.
    I love your images because they are always filled with light! A big congrats on your nomination...so well deserved!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...