Pages

Friday, January 10, 2014

the usual mad reveries




"What we want from art is whatever is missing from the lives we are already living and making. Something is always missing, and so art-making is endless."


- Jane Hirshfield from an interview in Psychology Today




I can't tell you how many books I've read, how many poems I've written, how many long and dreary and sometimes inspired pages I've scrawled in my journal, perched on this chaise longue in the front window of our bedroom. In our previous house, it was similarly located. I've been meaning to take a photograph of it for a very long time. I suppose we've had it for close to 20 years - I remember it being a bit of a splurge when we did buy it - from Eaton's, which I suppose dates us all. (I still miss Eaton's).

 It needs to be reupholstered but for now a blanket I bought from Simon's on sale after Christmas covers it nicely enough.




Most importantly, the chaise has been the perfect place to daydream. A place for mad reveries...


"And what is a beautiful poem if not a touched up madness? A little poetic order imposed upon aberrant images?"

"Reveries, mad reveries lead life."

- Gaston Bachelard








While I was taking these photos, Ace kept glancing over at me. (He's taken to having a little afternoon nap on our bed - which began when it was very cold out, and his own place downstairs in the window was very chilly). Really, I'm sure he couldn't quite understand why I wasn't taking photos of him.




The glances became stares. And he twisted around to see what I was up to.





Well, how could I resist?





It's been a busy week on the web over here - some very good new stuff up on my literary site, Canadian Poetries, including a new 'essay' section. And a piece I wrote for the National Gallery of Canada Magazine about the show currently hanging at the AGA is up on their site. Would love it if you'd pop in there and read it.

So many wonderful comments this week, as well! Thank you all so much!







5 comments:

  1. I can not resist taking pictures of my furry friends too. Love them so much! Have a beautiful day!

    Janet

    ReplyDelete
  2. Or perhaps poetry is a bit of necessary madness imposed upon all our ordered images. Either way, all reveries. Thanks Shawna.

    ReplyDelete
  3. a beautiful post
    as always.
    only a special treat. pictures of ace. never can get enough. a very calm dog. and obviously
    beloved.
    going now to your links. thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  4. i would want to see your painting.
    and i would want to see and hear your movie . . . with the wonderful shuffling feet of the poets . . . and the occasional cough . . .
    and you should name it all
    pink and orange with bits of purple.
    xo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies

    1. So sweet of you to look into Canadian Poetries :) Thanks, Tammy.

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...