Pages

Thursday, February 20, 2014

a sorry state for a minor poet!



I have a bad cold,
And everyone knows how bad colds
Throw the whole universe out of kilter.
They turn us against life
And make us sneeze even metaphysically.
I've wasted the whole day blowing my nose.
My head hurts all over.
A sorry state for a minor poet!
Today I'm truly a minor poet.
What I used to be was a wish: it snapped.

Good-bye forever, Fairy Queen!
You had wings of sunlight, and here I am plodding along.
I won't get well unless I lie down in bed.
I've never been well except when lying down in the universe.
Excusez du peu...What a terrible physical cold!
I need truth and some aspirin.


- Fernando Pessoa writing as Álvaro de Campos from A Little Larger than the Entire Universe, Richard Zenith - translator






I read the Pessoa poem when I didn't have a cold and I loved it, but now that I have a cold, I can really feel it. And I love the sad and dramatic hilarity of the line "Goodbye forever, Fairy Queen!" even more. Somehow makes the cold more bearable....

Well, what I would give to lie around in bed all day. But that's not going to happen. And besides, I prefer to suffer my colds in a state of denial.




The dog likes his walk even when I'm under the weather. These are from yesterday.










You can see the coyote, far away, on the other side of the fence near the highway in the shot below. Ace certainly saw him, as well. The coyote turned to look at us a few times, unfazed, of course. Very used to human and dog presences.









The sunflower heads someone put out for the birds are still hanging on.






And the oft photographed roses still hold beauty.






6 comments:

  1. Love the Fernando Pessoa! I love this poem even more reading it here again today, it's well timed. I too have a cold. Hope you're feeling well again soon!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love that poem...could have used that last week when I was suffering with my cold! Phenomenal images here...but what were you doing outside in the snow? Stay in and take care of yourself!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I hope you're feeling better real soon.
    These images are beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Smiled all the way through this one.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Don't you know that your cold is a sign from the universe that you are meant to stay home! Please take care of yourself.

    ReplyDelete
  6. "the sad and dramatic hilarity" :)
    your inspiration does not suffer
    feel better!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...