Pages

Friday, March 21, 2014

praise the snow falling late





Mass for the Day of St. Thomas Didymus [excerpt]
by Denise Levertov

ii Gloria

Praise the wet snow
falling early.
Praise the shadow
my neighor's chimney casts on the tile roof
even this gray October day that should, they say,
have been golden.
Praise
the invisible sun burning beyond
the white cold sky, giving us
light and the chimney's shadow.
Praise
god or the gods, the unknown,
that which imagined us, which stays
our hand,
our murderous hand,
and gives us
still,
in the shadow of death,
our daily life,
and the dream still
of goodwill, of peace on earth.
Praise
flow and change, night and
the pulse of day.






And let's also praise the snow falling late in March, so the month can be said to come in like a lion and go out like a lamb.

Let's praise our daily life.

Praise poems, often lead me to blessing poems:





May The Light Of Your Soul Guide You

by John O’Donohue

May the light of your soul guide you.
May the light of your soul bless the work
You do with the secret love and warmth of your heart.
May you see in what you do the beauty of your own soul.
May the sacredness of your work bring healing, light and renewal to those
Who work with you and to those who see and receive your work.
May your work never weary you.
May it release within you wellsprings of refreshment, inspiration and excitement.
May you be present in what you do.
May you never become lost in the bland absences.
May the day never burden you.
May dawn find you awake and alert, approaching your new day with dreams,
Possibilities and promises.
May evening find you gracious and fulfilled.
May you go into the night blessed, sheltered and protected.
May your soul calm, console and renew you.





May the day never burden you.

May you spread your wings and have the strength to carry whatever burdens you may have.

Like this bird of mine. My recurring bird.

Although I never knew him, there are days when I miss John O'Donohue quite fiercely. And I miss the books he would have written. His books are all up there on my recommended shelf, if you have an interest.





So yesterday, snow. We woke up to a rather blustery wind, a cold and brutal wind, and then the snow falling. It came down through the morning and into the afternoon, stopping before I went off to collect Chloe from school. Through the day, I went onto the back porch and photographed my metal bird. I conducted experiments with roses, which didn't quite come off, but sort of made the snow seem less of a trial, and more of a gift.























During all this, I began to 'improve' my web page. Added a 'poems' page which you can see here.

I might add a few more when I get a chance. 



And here we return to the bird again, two from when it was snowing. And one from later in the day. The snow had already begun to melt, and the bird was somewhat relieved of its lovely burden. The snow fell around its neck like a fur stole. 







4 comments:

  1. "less of trial, and more of a gift"... I think this reflects the beauty and strength of your character (I might have cried). A wonderful post, thank you. Have a lovely weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  2. first...
    i think the pictures of each solitary rose in the snow are quite beautiful.
    to bloom in the snow! in spite of the snow. a metaphor for our lives?

    i discovered this exquisite blog of yours because of the title. calm things.
    i'm a minimalist. and i love all things zen. and the small simple life.
    and calm versus chaos.
    i've been coming here a long time now. it's become like my own brand of
    what... delicious fast food? LOLOL. yes. it's my pizza.

    i've never been one to read very much poetry other than my beloved haiku.
    you've taught me here to appreciate poetry on a larger scale.
    i've also read e.e. cummings and have enjoyed his immensely. but not many others.
    rhyming usually leaves me cold.
    because of you now... i have discovered john o'donohue. and have read more of him.
    ... who died in his sleep. so young. so much yet to give us.
    perhaps though ... his soul had reached its peak. and the only way off the mountain
    was to leave.
    thank you shawna.
    for being you and sharing this blog with us! xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  3. You're both far too kind to me. But thank you, it means a lot. I'm fortunate to have such lovely readers.

    ReplyDelete
  4. The rose -in-snow experiments may not have emerges as you'd imagined but they are wonderful - my favorites are the single roses, and then the lot of them, almost submerges in snow.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...