Pages

Monday, May 12, 2014

let us rather not be sure of anything



A Zero-Circle

by Rumi

Be helpless, dumbfounded,
unable to say yes or no.

Then a stretcher will come
from grace to gather us up.

We are too dull-eyed to see the beauty.
If we say Yes we can, we'll be lying.

If we say No, we don't see it,
that No will behead us
and shut tight our window into spirit.

So let us rather not be sure of anything,
beside ourselves, and only that, so
miraculous beings come running to help.

Crazed, lying in a zero-circle, mute,
we will be saying finally,
with tremendous eloquence, Lead us.

When we've totally surrendered to that beauty,
we'll become a mighty kindness.



(translated by John Moyne and Coleman Barks)






What I know is that I need a quiet start to this week. A meditative one.







"If you want to hear AUM, just cover your ears and you'll hear it. Of course, what you are hearing is the blood in the capillaries, but it's AUM: Ah - waking consciousness; ou- dream consciousness; and then, mmm - the realm of deep, dreamless sleep. AUM is the sound of the radiance of God. This is the most mysterious and important thing to understand, but once you get the idea, it's very simple." 
"The soul is to be propelled both by and from this syllable AUM into the silence beyond and all around it: the silence out of which it rises and back into which it goes when pronounced - slowly and rhythmically...as AUM-AUM-AUM."


~ Joseph Campbell in Reflections on the Art of Living: A Joseph Campbell Companion




"All of us are only human, and we have wrong perceptions every day. Our spouse or partner is also subject to wrong perceptions, so we must help each other to see more clearly and more deeply. We should not trust our perceptions too much - that is something the Buddha taught. "Are you sure of your perceptions?" he asked us. I urge you to write this phrase down on a card and put it up on the wall of your room: "Are you sure of your perceptions?"
 There is a river of perceptions in you. You should sit down on the bank of this river and contemplate your perceptions. Most of our perceptions, the Buddha said, are false. Are you sure of your perceptions? This question is addressed to you. It is a bell of mindfulness."

- Thich Nhat Hanh




How many times have I shared this particular video by Jennifer Berezan before? It has a centring effect that I treasure.





Are you sure? This is the question I want to ask myself today.






Wishing you all a calm beginning to your week....





7 comments:

  1. What beautiful poetry by Rumi. I love that, and I'm going to print it out and keep in front of me in my office.
    This is a beautiful post, and thank you so much for giving this too us on a Monday. It's perfect.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The photos and the Buddha statue are lovely. May I be honest about all the dead flowers? Not a positive energy in feng shui...I don't enjoy looking at them.
    Namaste

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think there is nothing more beautiful than a dying flower. I love seeing them, and I love how beautifully both you and Rob capture them in your different (though interconnected) art forms. I think you should post as many dying and dead flowers as your heart tells you to.

    ReplyDelete
  4. The 3rd to the last photo of the sunlit palm is so incredibly beautiful. Thank you. I needed to see that today.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks for all the comments everyone!

    Katie - I didn't know that dried flowers were feng shui unfriendly! How interesting. I always feel like after they've been cut I need to keep some sort of faith with them, see them through to the ends.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Interesting! dead/dried flowers are wabi-sabi friendly, though, I'm no expert on the subject:) I like seeing the beauty in every stage of life, even the decaying stage. Gives me hope in a strange kind of way. Have a lovely day.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Yes - very wabi-sabi. Me too, re: hope :)

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...