Pages

Monday, May 5, 2014

some glad morning



It wasn't entirely surprising to wake up to snow yesterday morning, May fourth. Because it's my birthday, I remember other years when there was snow at this time of year.

One year the blossoms had already made it out and were weighed down by slushy snow, ruined. At least this year we'd only had the smallest signs of spring. It snowed most of the morning, but turned into rain, and now, this morning: fog.





Some glad morning, soon, it will feel like spring.

But not yet.

Today, I'll be glad for the fog, glad for all the weather.



Some Glad Morning

by Joyce Sutphen

One day, something very old
happened again. The green
came back to the branches,
settling like leafy birds
on the highest twigs;
the ground broke open
as dark as coffee beans.

The clouds took up their
positions in the deep stadium
of the sky, gloving the
bright orb of the sun
before they pitched it
over the horizon.

It was as good as ever:
the air was filled
with the scent of lilacs
and cherry blossoms
sounded their long
whistle down the track
It was some glad morning.






I'm glad for these flowers, certainly, which are now further drying on the desk we have in the kitchen. Which is to say, you might just see them again, in another incarnation.







I'll leave you with one more poem by Anne Sexton, known for her work of bold clarity, anguish, depression, and brave subject matter. But also, Joy:



Welcome Morning
by Anne Sexton

There is joy
in all:
in the hair I brush each morning,
in the Cannon towel, newly washed,
that I rub my body with each morning,
in the chapel of eggs I cook
each morning,
in the outcry from the kettle
that heats my coffee
each morning,
in the spoon and the chair
that cry “hello there, Anne”
each morning,
in the godhead of the table
that I set my silver, plate, cup upon
each morning.

All this is God,
right here in my pea-green house
each morning
and I mean,
though often forget,
to give thanks,
to faint down by the kitchen table
in a prayer of rejoicing
as the holy birds at the kitchen window
peck into their marriage of seeds.

So while I think of it,
let me paint a thank-you on my palm
for this God, this laughter of the morning,
lest it go unspoken.

The Joy that isn’t shared, I’ve heard,
dies young.







9 comments:

  1. happy birthday Shawna. It's my sister's birthday too. Snow in May. I should not have a difficult time imagining it, with your beautiful descriptions of how it feels to endure a seemingly endless winter. But I do. Sending Love and warm breezes your way.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Happy birthday! Your winter is so long. We didn't have snow at all this year and my roses are in full bloom, which is much too early here. But I enjoy it. I hope spring will come to you soon! Khendra

    ReplyDelete
  3. Happy birthday, may your "inner" weather brighten that which is out of doors! Enjoy your day:)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh I do so much want to wish you continued happy from your birthday on and on into this next year! You have given me such peace so often through sharing your writing and your photos. For me, peace is a kind of happy feeling ...so again, happy to you, dear Shawna.

    ReplyDelete
  5. this may be my most favoritest post of all... as little jacob says.
    well not really. SO many of them are! they can't all be my most favoritests. LOL.
    but this one . . .
    the perfect thank you poem by annie. and then your own thoughts always . . . and
    the perfect pictures of drying tissue~ like flowers... so poignant and still so beautiful.
    they remind me of old prom dresses kept in a closet in the attic.
    you take them out ... and they are fragile and no longer new...
    but still full very full of life itself !
    happy belated birthday dear heart.
    i hope you live long and prosper!
    xo

    ReplyDelete
  6. got a call just now!
    my book.. i mean YOUR book i ordered is in... ready to be picked up. YAYYY!!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Happy Birthday good Shawna! We wish you a life full of happiness, success and
    more creative art.... I always like your choice of poems, your comments and the
    pictures... Thank you again and have a very happy time.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Happy Birthday Shawna! Sending you wishes for a blooming spring soon!
    I thought our winter was long here in Ireland but we just had the most beautiful sunny April, alas, now skies are grey. But to have snow now, wow, I can't imagine what it must be like.
    Beautiful words and pictures, as always. Continued creative success to you in this new year.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thanks everyone, for the good wishes, and most of all for being here :) xo to you all.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...