Pages

Tuesday, May 13, 2014

soul food




I've taken the title of this blog post from an anthology of poetry I recently stumbled upon during one of my library shifts. The full title: Soul Food: Nourishing Poems for Starved Minds. (I've also popped it up on the recommended shelf for future reference). It's a lovely format - small and square. And it contains so many of the poems I've shared with you on CT. Many that I haven't as well - but the book shares a similar sensibility to this blog. I think you'd like it, if you like it here.





From the book:



Variation on a Theme by Rilke

by Denise Levertov

A certain day became a presence to me;
there it was, confronting me - a sky, air, light:
a being. And before it started to descend
from the height of noon, it leaned over
and struck my shoulder as if with
the flat of a sword, granting me
honor and a task. The day's blow
rang out, metallic - or it was I, a bell awakened,
and what I heard was my whole self
saying and singing what it knew: I can.






Fruit Loops as soul food? Maybe not.....






But it was a lot of fun trying to catch bokeh bubbles in a spoonful of them.








4 comments:

  1. i love that you used fruit loops as soul food here! LOL.
    and the last post... the beautiful little stone buddha with light and flower on the palm...
    oh how exquisite that light.
    why does light mean so much to mean? just small shafts of it ... enough.
    and shawna...
    tears ... just a welling ... but there ... nevertheless ... when the foolish old professor was so unkind. glaring. ostracizing. what does he think an artist is to do? bury himself forever in the dusty halls of academia? to put forth glorious art into this sad world and manage to support oneself and one's love and one's child ... that is a high calling.
    courage and smiles from me to rob. to make up for the stupidity of supposedly learned old men!
    as you can see. still slowly digesting and loving your little book ... 'calm things.'
    i'm reading it like one would eat a piece of rich chocolate cake! XO

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Love the way you're reading it and the chocolate cake comparison! Of course now I really want a piece of chocolate cake....lol!

      Delete
  2. Thank you for the Froot Loops and the poem and the book reference and, just thank you.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...