Pages

Thursday, May 1, 2014

the solace of May mornings




May Mornings

by Denise Levertov


May mornings wear
light cashmere shawls of quietness,
brush back waterfalls of
burnished silk from
clear and round brows.
When we see them approaching
over lawns, trailing
dewdark shadows and footprints,
we remember, ah
yes, the May mornings,
how could we have forgotten,
what solace
it would be in the bitter violence
of fire then ice again we
apprehend – but
it seems the May mornings
are a presence known
only as they pass
light stepped, seriously smiling, bearing
each a leaflined basket
of wakening flowers.





I have to admit, I think of May as MY month. Today is our 21st wedding anniversary, and in a few days, my birthday. Today is also the day we reminisce about our five week honeymoon in Italy. We'll get out the old album, and look through the photos of Rome, Venice, Florence, Sardegna. We'll remark on how ridiculously young we look. And we'll wonder if we'll ever go back. We'll go back, maybe in a few years, I'll say. I hope I'm right.

The month of May is like a new year to me - and I begin to make resolutions, all over again.

I begin to list all the things I want to make in the coming year. A form of self-respect.






“Writing or making anything—a poem, a bird feeder, a chocolate cake—has self-respect in it. You’re working. You’re trying. You’re not lying down on the ground, having given up.” 


- Sharon Olds





Some iPhone snaps of the flowers on my kitchen table to leave you with.

Wishing you a beautiful first day of May.








5 comments:

  1. happy May to you! May means much the same to me, happy birthday (and anniversary) to you. Love the primroses, well and the other flowers too (it feels so sad to leave them out). Have a lovely day!,
    p.s. I so loved the colours in yesterdays posts...they have got the wheels turning in my head, I love too, how they have a hint, or promise of autumn in them as well. Whenever I see bokeh, I always think of you and this place:)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love the word "self respect" when thinking of creating something whether it planting flowers or baking a cake or making a collage

    ReplyDelete
  3. Always an inspiration, Happy May. Thank you for identifying those snaps from the iPhone. I'm tempted to join the ranks who don't travel with a camera any more….grateful for the inspiration there too. You are as amazing a photographer as you are a poet.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for all the kind words everyone, and good wishes. Happy May to you all!

    ReplyDelete
  5. happy May to you! seems we have something in common, I too have a birthday and anniversary this month. such beautiful tones in these images, love them all!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...