Pages

Thursday, May 22, 2014

the trees belong to all sorts of religions




"Deep breathing,
Rational breathing – carefree breathing here.
I took a good look round –

The trees belong to all sorts of religions:
This tree is Lao-Tze, that one is Confucius"


- Rati Amaghlobeli, from "The Forest"






City Trees

by Edna St. Vincent Millay

The trees along this city street,
Save for the traffic and the trains,
Would make a sound as thin and sweet
As trees in country lanes.

And people standing in their shade
Out of a shower, undoubtedly
Would hear such music as is made
Upon a country tree.

Oh, little leaves that are so dumb
Against the shrieking city air,
I watch you when the wind has come,–
I know what sound is there.






I walked into the little stand of trees on my walk yesterday, these wild trees which are also city trees. Always so grateful for their existence. Just looking at the light coming through the leaves alters my breathing. Listening to all the birds singing and chattering as I stand in one spot, focusing on this leaf or that one.

I photographed the trees in the two little leftover forests quite often last year, and I thought maybe I was finished with them. But no. Every time the leaves are different, the light goes on being different. The gestures of branches, the new growth.

And then of course, the interventions of humans will change things. I sometimes think these places are mine alone, but they must be busy at other times of the day. There is much evidence of other visitors. The paths are well trampled, and very often there are attempts to make small camps, tree forts, sometimes a place to sleep.

At this point, all the green is a lovely novelty and my eyes are slowly becoming adjusted. It really is so much to take in.















3 comments:

  1. Beautiful, and I love the quote about the trees being Lao Tzu and Confucius!

    ReplyDelete
  2. So wonderful to see so much green, it's my new favorite color. The bokeh in many of your beautiful images reminds me of strings of pearls.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Happy Friday Shawna. I love your line 'just looking at the light coming through the leaves alters my breathing' - I am able to feel that really deep down through your words :)

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...