Pages

Monday, June 30, 2014

the city will always pursue you



Last week my lovely mother-in-law treated us to dinner at La Ronde, Edmonton's revolving restaurant, for our daughter's 16th birthday.

According to Wikipedia, the world is littered with revolving restaurants. I had imagined that it was sort of a 70s thing, but they're still being built or at least it's possible to build a revolving restaurant still.





The food was fabulous.

Seafood with potato pasta:





Ditto:





Lobster pasta:





Beef Wellington:





Rob opted for a cafe latte for dessert:




The birthday girl had this:







There were pine nuts as part of this composition, as well as a ginger cookie:




And for me, Pecan pie:




It was really beautiful to celebrate our daughter and do something memorable for her 16th. 





It was certainly interesting to see the view of our sprawling city. I suppose many people have a difficult relationship with the place, the city, they're from. And sometimes we imagine leaving will change things, change us.

And so, here is a poem, to help us ponder this further:



The City

By C. P. Cavafy


You said: “I’ll go to another country, go to another shore,
find another city better than this one.
Whatever I try to do is fated to turn out wrong
and my heart lies buried like something dead.
How long can I let my mind moulder in this place?
Wherever I turn, wherever I look,
I see the black ruins of my life, here,
where I’ve spent so many years, wasted them, destroyed them totally.”

You won’t find a new country, won’t find another shore.
This city will always pursue you.
You’ll walk the same streets, grow old
in the same neighborhoods, turn gray in these same houses.
You’ll always end up in this city. Don’t hope for things elsewhere:
there’s no ship for you, there’s no road.
Now that you’ve wasted your life here, in this small corner,
you’ve destroyed it everywhere in the world.


-translated by Edmund Keeley and Philip Sherrard






1 comment:

  1. A bleak, cautionary tale. We have to make the effort to really live and experience where we live. I think a wonderful life can be had anywhere.

    Cheers and happy birthday to the lovely Chloe! Looks like you had a wonderful time.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...