Pages

Thursday, June 5, 2014

three good things in this world




Things You Didn't Put On Your Resumé

by Joyce Sutphen

How often you got up in the middle of the night
when one of your children had a bad dream,

and sometimes you woke because you thought
you heard a cry but they were all sleeping,

so you stood in the moonlight just listening
to their breathing, and you didn't mention

that you were an expert at putting toothpaste
on tiny toothbrushes and bending down to wiggle

the toothbrush ten times on each tooth while
you sang the words to songs from Annie, and

who would suspect that you know the fingerings
to the songs in the first four books of the Suzuki

Violin Method and that you can do the voices
of Pooh and Piglet especially well, though

your absolute favorite thing to read out loud is
Bedtime for Frances and that you picked

up your way of reading it from Glynnis Johns,
and it is, now that you think of it, rather impressive

that you read all of Narnia and all of the Ring Trilogy
(and others too many to mention here) to them

before they went to bed and on way out to
Yellowstone, which is another thing you don't put

on the resumé: how you took them to the ocean
and the mountains and brought them safely home.





- from The Writer's Almanac




So: another poem I totally love by Joyce Sutphen. Time to order her book, Naming the Stars, then. (I've put it up on the recommended shelf for reference).

It had me thinking about all the things I wouldn't (but maybe should) have on my resume. Yes, to reading Narnia aloud to Chloe. Yes to watching her breathing. All the dinosaur bones I've looked at pretending to be interested. My acting chops in that regard.

How we've dragged her to NYC twice to see art, and to Washington, DC, and Amsterdam. When we took her to Disneyland when she was little, we also went to the Getty Museum. She loves art.

I would put on my two years of university Italian from 25 years ago, even though I remember hardly any of it.

That I walked on the Great Wall of China in grade 12.

That I never really learned to ride a horse properly but always wanted to and that I think I'd still remember how to speak horse.

That I'm quite good at sitting still and silent.

How about you? What are those lovely things you'd leave off your resume?





There are three good things in this world. One is to read poetry, another is to write poetry, and the best of all is to live poetry.

- Rupert Brooke


Maybe there are more than three good things, but these will do, for me, for now.






Heading back into the writing now. Leaving you with a few more flowers:





And a few more of good old Ace. Who sometimes wearies of posing and has a nap instead.  











2 comments:

  1. What an uplifting post......there are so many things good moms dont put on their resumes that make them stellar human beings. Ace is so beautiful.......love those photos.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Glad you liked it! I do love that poem.

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...