Pages

Wednesday, July 16, 2014

a fierce sanity




"Rilke recommended that when life became turbulent and troublesome, it was wise to stay close to one simple thing in nature. A friend of mine who had great trouble with her mind told me once that she had brought a stone into her apartment, and when she felt her mind going, she would concentrate on the stone. She said, 'There is a fierce sanity in stone.'"



- John O'Donohue from To bless the Space Between Us: A Book of Blessings








"Look ahead.

You are not expected to complete the task.
Neither are you permitted to lay it down. "


- from the Talmud








I'm looking to my stone bowl, then, for a fierce sanity.







I'm looking ahead.








I'm staying close to one simple thing.





4 comments:

  1. beautiful, beautiful blog...

    so lovely...

    thank you, for sharing it...

    tessa~

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hoping that life is treating you well, Shawna. It can be so hard sometimes...
    On a good note, I've been meaning to tell you how much I enjoyed "Asking". I keep going back and reading certain sections...it helps keep me sane (maybe it's my one simple thing)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, gosh, thank you Susan! That means so much to me.

      Summer is always so busy - I admit, I'm finding it hard to keep sane, too! xo

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...