Pages

Tuesday, August 5, 2014

I too would like to hear words






462-0614

by Charles Bukowski

I get many phonecalls now.
They are all alike.
"are you Charles Bukowski,
the writer?"
"yes," I tell them.
and they tell me
that they understand my
writing,
and some of them are writers
or want to be writers
and they have dull and
horrible jobs
and they can't face the room
the apartment
the walls
that night --
they want somebody to talk
to,
and they can't believe
that I can't help them
that I don't know the words.
they can't believe
that often now
I double up in my room
grab my gut
and say
"Jesus Jesus Jesus, not
again!"
they can't believe
that the loveless people
the streets
the loneliness
the walls
are mine too.
and when I hang up the phone
they think I have held back my
secret.

I don't write out of
knowledge.
when the phone rings
I too would like to hear words
that might ease
some of this.

that's why my number's
listed.





“Out beyond ideas of wrongdoing
and rightdoing there is a field.
I'll meet you there.

When the soul lies down in that grass
the world is too full to talk about.” 


- Rumi



Expect Nothing

by Alice Walker

Expect nothing. Live frugally
On surprise.
become a stranger
To need of pity
Or, if compassion be freely
Given out
Take only enough
Stop short of urge to plead
Then purge away the need.

Wish for nothing larger
Than your own small heart
Or greater than a star;
Tame wild disappointment
With caress unmoved and cold
Make of it a parka
For your soul.

Discover the reason why
So tiny human midget
Exists at all
So scared unwise
But expect nothing. Live frugally
On surprise.








Today's offering, Charles Bukowski, Rumi, Alice Walker. A strange meeting, I suppose.

A field, the colour purple.

I really don't know what I'm doing here.







But I expect nothing.

My soul fills.

Always looking for words to ease. To calm, to soothe, to resonate.






Finding comfort lately, walking by the field, the colours a gift.























Not exactly paradise, with the highway running all along it, but if I'm deep enough in revery, the traffic sounds fall away. 




2 comments:

  1. Such a beautiful field with all the purples. Ours are looking so different here, full of greens and whites and various shades of bleached gold but have all the noise of highway traffic too. xo

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you. Hard to tame wild disappointment, find the fugitive words. But thank you.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...