Pages

Tuesday, August 19, 2014

waiting without hunger




Grace

by Esther Morgan

You’ve been living for this for weeks
without knowing it:

the moment the house empties like a city in August
so completely
it forgets you exist.

Light withdraws slowly
is almost gone before you notice.

In the stillness, everything becomes itself:
the circle of white plates on the kitchen table
the serious chairs that attend them

even the roses on the papered walls
seem to open a little wider.

It looks simple: the glass vase holding
whatever is offered—
cut flowers, or the thought of them—

simple, though not easy
this waiting without hunger in the near dark
for what you may be about to receive.


- via A Poet Reflects from the book: Grace







This need to once again refine my practice. To wait without hunger....is this grace, then?


Rumi says,

"Work. Keep digging your well.
Don't think about getting off from work. 
Water is there somewhere.

Submit to a daily practice.
Your loyalty to that
is a ring on the door. 

Keep knocking, and the joy inside
will eventually open a window
and look out to see who's there."





"The constant happiness is curiosity."

- Alice Munro








It's good, I think, to stop and ask yourself what it is you believe, from time to time. What do you want from your days? What do you need from them? What rituals are you able to sustain? What do you love?

I need light, the constant happiness of curiosity. And I want the stillness, where everything becomes itself. I want poetry, the poetry of dailiness and ritual. I want an inner quiet. I want to be awake with noticing and I want to be alive to beauty.

I believe in waiting without hunger, and yes, how difficult that truly is.





4 comments:

  1. We hurry and scurry and jump on and off buses, sighing at those around us who don't move as fast, get home, cook, eat, walk, and at the end of it all...is sleep and thoughts about tomorrow as soon as we close our eyes...what do I want with my days - to laugh and smile and think about what to leave behind for future generations - the thing I hunger for most. Thank you for making me think about it today. xo

    ReplyDelete
  2. This entry was my entry into Calm Things and I cannot believe I haven't read it before. I'll also be looking for the book that preceded the blog and subscribing to this blog's feed.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Very cool to have you here, Bernadette :)

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...