Pages

Friday, September 12, 2014

not all days are sunny





XXI

by Fernando Pessoa (as Alberto Caeiro)


If I could sink my teeth into the whole earth
And actually taste it,
I’d be happier for a moment …
But I don’t always want to be happy.
To be unhappy now and then
Is part of being natural.
Not all days are sunny,
And when rain is scarce, we pray for it.
And so I take unhappiness with happiness
Naturally, just as I don’t marvel
That there are mountains and plains
And that there are rocks and grass …

What matters is to be natural and calm
In happiness and unhappiness,
To feel as if feeling were seeing,
To think as if thinking were walking,
And to remember, when death comes, that each day dies,
And the sunset is beautiful, and so is the light that remains …
That’s how it is and how I want it to be …





- from A Little Larger than the Entire Universe, Richard Zenith, translator.






What matters is to be natural and calm. I can't argue with that. 





These photos were taken on my usual walk along the utility corridor which started out as a pretty grey day.









When I took the photo below, I hadn't even noticed the web.





The thistles near the fence have gone to seed.





A bit of an explosion....





Near the end of the walk, the sun broke out here and there which meant adjusting the settings on the camera.







To one side of the path are tall houses, so in the photo below you can see where the sun has squeezed through the space in two houses.






And it seemed to have chosen this dandelion gone to seed to illuminate. Perhaps an unlikely candidate, perhaps not.





1 comment:

  1. so wonderful to watch the light and colors change from soft and subtle to bold and vibrant. "To feel as if feeling were seeing", love that.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...