Pages

Wednesday, September 3, 2014

reaching a point in life




The last of the Banff photos this morning. This glass in the first photo, though it's a little early in the morning yet for wine, I raise to my mother-in-law who came with us, was great company, and who generously 'sponsored' our stay. 





The following quotation by Meryl Streep has been floating around on Facebook and on blogs (though I can't seem to find the original source). It's something I'm going to print off and leave in my desk drawer for easy access. I was having a conversation with a friend lately, part of an ongoing one, where we talk about those things we will no longer tolerate. I am quite weary of smiling at those people who don't care to smile back. And I weary of worrying about people who don't bother to think twice about me. Well. Meryl says it all much better than I could. Maybe it sounds like tough love, but what happens is that if you stop wasting time on these things she mentions, it frees you up to concentrate on the good stuff, the good people.



“I no longer have patience for certain things, not because I’ve become arrogant, but simply because I reached a point in my life where I do not want to waste more time with what displeases me or hurts me. I have no patience for cynicism, excessive criticism and demands of any nature. I lost the will to please those who do not like me, to love those who do not love me and to smile at those who do not want to smile at me. I no longer spend a single minute on those who lie or want to manipulate. I decided not to coexist anymore with pretense, hypocrisy, dishonesty and cheap praise. I do not tolerate selective erudition nor academic arrogance. I do not adjust either to popular gossiping. I hate conflict and comparisons. I believe in a world of opposites and that’s why I avoid people with rigid and inflexible personalities. In friendship I dislike the lack of loyalty and betrayal. I do not get along with those who do not know how to give a compliment or a word of encouragement. Exaggerations bore me and I have difficulty accepting those who do not like animals. And on top of everything I have no patience for anyone who does not deserve my patience.” 


– Meryl Streep






This week, thanks to working the weekend ahead, I suppose, I have three days off in a row. So it's a return to the edits on my novel. I'm nearing the end of the first round anyway, which is exciting, terrifying. Time to dig in and banish the nerves.

I know that I'll also be taking some 'photo breaks' because it feels like we're right at the end of summer and in no time we'll turn that corner into fall. I want to capture as much as I can of the last of my garden. Of this particular light at summer's end.







Walking on one of the trails near our hotel, found this stone below. Pure love.





And now, for the leftovers. All the remaining photos. Bits of this and that.

Orange pop for Chloe, beer for Rob.





Another glass of wine, because: holidays.





Food!




A plant in the foyer of the hotel.




Chloe took this photo of me at Bow Falls. A bit windy!





And here is Chloe. Striking a lovely pose before Bow Falls.




Likewise, Rob.




We strolled around one morning in Banff, before it started raining. Such a sweet town.





Speaking of sweets. So many candy stores there. I always enjoy a good candy store.






Afternoon coffee break.




A lovely dinner in the hotel. I loved the citrus and cucumber selection offered for our water.





Chloe had pizza. Classic.



The shrimp pasta.




Pistachio crusted pork with black barley, baked apples and squash.




A decadent and pretty dessert. 




A smoked cheesecake - really unique and lovely. Sort of a cross between a cheese course and a dessert.






Chloe had French toast on our last morning. Sadly, the light was a bit dim, what with the grey and the rain and the rest of the food photos I took were basically rubbish. So it goes. But as you can tell, we ate in grand style.





Lastly, a sculpture made from sugar and chocolate. Quite fantastic, don't you think?



4 comments:

  1. Glorious photographs. And I hadn't seen that quote - wow. Just so, so, so right. xox

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Lindsey, and yes - that's that way I feel too. It just reads as right. xo

      Delete
  2. I think you found my letters and read each one out loud...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hear you :) It's like Meryl Streep KNOWS us, lol!

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...