Pages

Wednesday, September 10, 2014

snow in september





Guardian Angel

by Rolf Jacobsen

I am the bird that knocks at your window in the morning
and your companion, whom you cannot know,
the blossoms that light up for the blind.

I am the glacier’s crest above the forests, the dazzling one
and the brass voices from cathedral towers.
The thought that suddenly comes over you at midday
and fills you with a singular happiness.

I am one you have loved long ago.
I walk alongside you by day and look intently at you
and put my mouth on your heart
but you don’t know it.

I am your third arm and your second
shadow, the white one,
whom you don’t have the heart for
and who cannot ever forget you.




- translated by Roger Greenwald
{source}






And maybe your guardian angel arrives in the form of snow which falls in early September and disappears when it reaches earth.

This was the scene two days ago, on Monday. It snowed all morning, but because of the wind, didn't accumulate in any grand way.







The sunflowers really seem to be steeling themselves against the pelting flakes of snow.






Of all the flowers we were able to experience in the garden this past season, in September I'm always most grateful for the packet of sunflower seeds we planted in pots. We had to thin them out when they first sprouted, and then you hope for the two or three of them as they grow slowly and deliberately all summer. By the end of August there are flowers and it seems a bit of a miracle, they're so tall and the big expressive flowers seem to have come out of nowhere. I can't help seeing myself in sunflowers. Tall and awkward, hungry for the light.













This morning we just have rain and a forecast here for warmer weather in a few days. But I have to admit, when we woke up to snow on Monday, I was filled with a strange happiness. I suppose because I knew there would be photos to take, that mad compulsion....




2 comments:

  1. Wow! Snow already? I am excited that for us the weather is turning cold this week which I love, but the I'm not sure I'm ready for snow yet. Gorgeous photos!

    ReplyDelete
  2. It is a bit of a miracle. Those snow flowers straining and living. And lovely to see the angel again, guardian that it is. As is that hopeful poem.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...