Pages

Monday, October 20, 2014

the changing light of a room



"I always forget how important the empty days are, how important it may be sometimes not to expect to produce anything, even a few lines in a journal. A day when one has not pushed oneself to the limit seems a damaged damaging day, a sinful day. Not so! The most valuable thing one can do for the psyche, occasionally, is to let it rest, wander, live in the changing light of a room."


- May Sarton, Journal of a Solitude


I still give thanks for the writing of May Sarton, though she may not now be in vogue. She must still have her readers though, and books like Journal of a Solitude will always find a simpatico soul. And what more can we as authors hope for our books.

Well, it's Monday, and if we were having tea at some point today I'd tell you that I ran out this weekend to buy Lila by Marilynne Robinson and read the first 100 pages last night and made myself stop so that it wouldn't be over in one reading. She's without a doubt my favourite living novelist.

The night previous we watched Bill Moyers interview her on PBS and this deepened my regard for her.




I've added another movie to my DVD list at the library, titled, Elaine Stritch: Just Shoot Me. I knew next to nothing about Stritch before coming upon this wonderful documentary and I'm so glad I watched it. To see someone so utterly unique and full of life is an inspiration.

In general, I've been on a novel reading binge. Have lately read Olive Kitteridge, which apparently is being made into a movie starring the incomparable Frances McDormand. Also read, Ellen in Pieces by Caroline Adderson.

Rob heard a BBC show while painting one day recently where they were talking about tree registers in Britain, which I thought was pretty fascinating. So have been looking around at various tree registers and which countries have them.

Previous to this I'd been writing about Enzo Enea's tree museum, which is also very interesting to me.

Maybe it's this time of year, when they draw such glorious attention to themselves as they change colour, that one can spend a great deal of time in reverie with regards to trees.




I'll leave off this morning with more tea, and some green tea pocky. Wishing you a quiet moment or two today to sip a cup and treat yourself to something biscuit-ish.....and to enjoy the changing light of a room....





3 comments:

  1. "If you can spend a perfectly useless afternoon in a perfectly useless manner, you have learned how to live." Read this ages ago, somewhere, and your quote reminded me. When I come home I will have tea.
    Khendra

    ReplyDelete
  2. "just to live in the changing light of a room." how beautifully said.
    i used to own every may sarton book. i think journal of a solitude is my favorite.
    you've made me want to read them all again.
    beautiful calming pictures here.
    always a balm to one's soul... this blog is.
    xo

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've not read May Sarton's novels but I loved Journal of a Solitude and Plant Dreaming Deep. Smiling at the quote because I've been feeling particularly sinful for neglecting my art commissions for over a month.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...